B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Blind spot mirror

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear
Default Blind spot mirror

Driver's side mirror is losing it's silver - fast! ECS sells the blind spot mirrors. Anyone tried them? Do they really help or do you just wish everything wasn't so damn small when you look through them?

Audi B5 A4 Quattro V6 30v Exterior Mirrors Glass ES#3603 Heated Blind Spot Mirror - Left - 8D0857535E

Old 02-19-2014, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

What's wrong with shoulder checking? You should be doing that, not relying on a mirror when lane changing. Granted, I understand that you want that mirror (it's there for a reason), and if it is losing it's shine then it's time to find a replacement. Try an auto wrecker and save yourself some money.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by soulstep
What's wrong with shoulder checking?
It's a bad, bad habit. Something happens in front of you while you have your head cranked around and we all lose another B5.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
It's a bad, bad habit. Something happens in front of you while you have your head cranked around and we all lose another B5.
That's why you are supposed to leave 3 seconds between you and the car in front of you. A shoulder check shouldn't take more than 1/2 a second. It's taught in driving school for a reason.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear

That's why you are supposed to leave 3 seconds between you and the car in front of you.
At 60 mph that's 264 feet, or almost a football field. Have you seen rush hour?

A shoulder check shouldn't take more than 1/2 a second.
At 60 mph, your car travels 44 feet while you have your head cranked around because you don't have your mirrors adjusted right.

Last edited by mtroxel; 02-20-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

So you are saying that all driving instructors and professionals are wrong then? I'll agree that 3 seconds can sometimes be a little excessive, but I always shoulder check when changing lanes and have yet to even come close to having an accident because of it. The times I see near misses are when someone is changing lanes without shoulder checking (like in the video on ECS).

One of the most dangerous things you can do on the road while sober is tailgate. You are right to say that a lot can happen in a split second, and the closer you are to that person the worse events can turn out. A lot of other things take your attention away from the road; cellphones, radio, passengers, landmarks, other cars. Most of those things take up more attention and time away from the road than a quick shoulder check.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear

I said what I said. Past that, this is one of those internet fights everyone hates.

Apparently no one has tried ECS's mirror.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 AM
1st Gear

I have never tried ECS mirrors but on all the cars I own I have the small circular 3d-type stick on blind spot mirrors. They are only about $2 at the local auto shop. I find that they do the job well and you never need to look over your shoulder, just a quick glance at the mirror.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

There's a guy on ebay selling replacement mirror glass for super cheap, like $30 a pair. You do have to reuse your old plastic backing plate but the glass comes with adhesive already. I bought a pair of blue tinted, heated blind spot mirrors expecting maybe a small difference but I was blown away. I have almost no blind spot on either side now, maybe a motorcycle may be able to slip in but a car won't. It's not like those stick on blind spot mirrors because the blind spot part of it feels like an extension of the regular mirror, there's no break, just a wide view. Every time I drive another car I get nervous when merging because I feel blind. I still shoulder check out of habit, but 99% of the time there's no need.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
There's a guy on ebay selling replacement mirror glass for super cheap, like $30 a pair.
So you peal the old glass away from the backing and glue on the new? I like the heaters in my climate, do they still heat?

Quick Reply: Blind spot mirror