B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cant get out of LIMP MODE, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Ok guys this thing has got me stumped. Did a smoke test and no leaks whatsoever. I've replaced about everything but still only getting 6 lbs boost. Does anyone think it may be the ECU lost its programming????? I am still getting some boost but it makes a different sound at 6 psi of boost. These are all the things I have either switched out with another car or replaced and still no luck, (N75,710n, the Turbo, throttle body, MAF,breather tube, Ive pressure smoke tested the system twice and have no leaks in any hoses.) The only thing I think is left is the ECU that was chipped by SpeedTuning.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM

i've been stuck in limp mode for a while and like you i had no idea why. I recently found a serious water leak (about 3 or 4 inches of standing water) in my transmission computers housing under the passenger side i found out that it was due to my sunroof drain which runs by the A frame of the headliner on the passenger side. doesnt sound like thats your problem but it wouldnt hurt to check the drain hose for any leaks.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

Ok i have been trying to figure this out for the past 2 months. I cant figure out what else to check for my boost problem. I even purchased a used ecu to see if i will get stock boost just in case but am only getting about 2-3 psi with it and the cel comes on. what do i need to do when switching out the ecu? i left the key on for about 10 min to take care of the throttle body. Can anyone tell me what i need to do to get the ecu working to check it.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

hey im somewhat in the same spot my turbo has never worked i finally got a stock one had 9psi for about a day then just dropped from 9 to 5psi checked all the hoses visually but all look ok but i noticed you used a smoke machine to check yours i have a evap leak detector will that work what kind was yours

Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

Hi all

I'm experiancing the EXACT same problem on my 2002 Seat Leon Cupra, 1.8T with the AUQ engine, I've changed:

MAF
n75 Valve
Bypassed n249 Valve
D.V
Checked hoses for leaks

I just can't figure out what's going on

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Ecu limp mode

hey guys....SERIOUS HELP NEEDED....has anyone ever came up with the solution to this problem? i have a 99 a4 b5.....no boost leaks....brand new ko4....still have to install my boost guage....but my problem is identical to the one on this thread.....did a log and sent it to my tuners and they were able to tell me instantaneously that my ecu was in limp mode....if any solutions were found for this limp mode problem please post....thanks guys

Old 11-29-2017, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

First let me say I have no experience with this... however I am curious and like to learn things so I did a search about what limp mode was. In doing so I cam across this thread Limp mode? and specifically this answer so I thought I would post it.

ECU Reset/ Limp mode fixed
I believe that when i previously attempted ECU reset that maybe I didnt do it correctly. I really think that my car placed itself in limp mode when m y engine stalled out because it didnt have enough battery voltage to keep the car l running correctly. Not sure whether it makes a different whether you disconnect the negative or positive battery terminal.
ECU Reset:
-I disconnected the negative battery terminal for10-20 mins
- Re-plugged the negative battery terminal
- Before starting the car i left the key turned in the ignition for 5-10 mins
eLae
When i started car the CEL was "off" and so was the limp mode!

Don't know if this would help.