B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Chinese turbos the dark truth

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Chinese turbos the dark truth

OK SO i was craigslist hunting and found a new ko4-015 off brand turbo idk if it came from ebay or where it came from but the guy bought it off a friend who neve put it on for 180$ and sold it to me for 100$ IM SORRY 100$ FOR A K04 IM TRYING IT OUT CHINESE OR JAPANESE LOL any ways upon pick up i brought magnets it was not magnetic meaning its not ferrous meaning ITS HIGH QUALITY MEATAL TEST 1 PASSED i looked up the company WA-LINE INDUSTRIAL.CO,LTD THEY CLAIM ITS A BALL BEARING TURBO !!!! TEST 2 PASSED , SO ON TO TEST 3 is there any spool play ? NO NONE ITS EXTREAMLY TIGHT SPINS EASILY AND ALL !! TEST 4 "IS THERE SIGNS OF QUALITY CONTROL EX BALENCING " YESS there was nmbers on the spools and oil residue n the inside from testing equipment!!!!!! now tommorow will be the moment of truth when i rip off my k03 that was the original with 236,000+or- miles on it ! and replace it with the k04 i will keep it updated and hopefully bust this myth that chinese turbos suck THIS WAY WE CAN STOP DISHING OUT OUR POCKETS FOR STUPID BORG-WARNERS xD

I WANT NO BASHING OF EBAY TURBOS IF YOU ARE GOING TO BASH SHOW ME THE PROOF I WANT MORE PROOF THAN" YOUR GRANDPAS SONS GIRLFRIENDS CHILDS KID HAD ONE AND IT CRACKED "

also i am knew to turbos i mean i know alot about them but i dont know all the differnt types and i dont know like how much hp gain i will get will it be night and day ? K04-015 new on a 236,000 mile engine that has no sludge ? how much hp should i exspect btw my k03 was throwing overboost codes i think i have a bad n75... will replace later

Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Unless you're overboosting because of a failure, you won't see anything beyond the difference between an old turbo and a new one. If you really want to see what a k04 can do (which isn't tremendously impressive), look at the turbo guide in the TT subforum, stickied at the top, as well as the 1.8T modding guide at the top of this page - all the info you could want.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:24 AM
Administrator

As for the knockoff brand experiment, keep an eye on end play/wobble and shaft seal oil leakage over time at regular intervals. The bitch with the Chinese turbos isn't that they break when you take the plastic off them, it's that they wear out very early.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Legal Moderator

the issue with chineese turbos are the turbine housings, turbines, and especially bearings.

Originally Posted by kenman
WA-LINE INDUSTRIAL.CO,LTD THEY CLAIM ITS A BALL BEARING TURBO !!!! TEST 2 PASSED
ha ha, yeah right. and even if it was ball bearing, id trust a chineese journal bearing over chinese ball bearing any day of the week.

any ways upon pick up i brought magnets it was not magnetic meaning its not ferrous meaning ITS HIGH QUALITY MEATAL TEST 1 PASSED

seriously wtf are you talking about? its true, the compressor housing is typically made of aluminum, which is a non-ferrous metal. the turbine housing and center housing should be iron, which is ferrous and very magnetic. if the turbo isnt magnetic i'd be concernded, unless of course you tried testing if the aluminum compressor housing was magnetic?

either way, people dont get it. all chinese made **** comes from the same factory. theres no difference. and there is plenty of well documented evidence that chinese k04's are junk at anything over stock boost levels.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Reading that OP makes my head hurt. Please cut out the all caps ****, and use some punctuation. Jesus H. Christ.

any ways upon pick up i brought magnets it was not magnetic meaning its not ferrous meaning ITS HIGH QUALITY MEATAL TEST 1 PASSED
Wut? What isn't magnetic? If your magnets didn't stick to ANY part of the turbo, I'd be worried.

i looked up the company WA-LINE INDUSTRIAL.CO,LTD THEY CLAIM ITS A BALL BEARING TURBO !!!! TEST 2 PASSED
Lots of people claim lots of things, that doesn't make any of it true. Show me photo evidence that the turbo in your hand uses ball bearings and I'll believe you.

TEST 4 "IS THERE SIGNS OF QUALITY CONTROL EX BALENCING " YESS there was nmbers on the spools and oil residue n the inside from testing equipment!!!!!!
What does "numbers on the spools" mean? Part numbers? Why would the presence of part numbers indicate to you that anything was balanced or tested? That makes no sense. Are there any grinding or machining marks where material was removed? Oil residue is a good sign, but how do you know it was from testing equipment? Was the turbo installed before you bought it?

now tommorow will be the moment of truth when i rip off my k03 that was the original with 236,000+or- miles on it ! and replace it with the k04 i will keep it updated and hopefully bust this myth that chinese turbos suck THIS WAY WE CAN STOP DISHING OUT OUR POCKETS FOR STUPID BORG-WARNERS xD

I WANT NO BASHING OF EBAY TURBOS IF YOU ARE GOING TO BASH SHOW ME THE PROOF I WANT MORE PROOF THAN" YOUR GRANDPAS SONS GIRLFRIENDS CHILDS KID HAD ONE AND IT CRACKED "
Yeah you're right, all of the threads and documented evidence of these turbos being polished dog **** were part of a big conspiracy, you're right and the rest of the internet is wrong.

also i am knew to turbos i mean i know alot about them but i dont know all the differnt types and i dont know like how much hp gain i will get will it be night and day ? K04-015 new on a 236,000 mile engine that has no sludge ? how much hp should i exspect btw my k03 was throwing overboost codes i think i have a bad n75... will replace later
You're "knew" to turbos, but you know a lot about them, but you don't know that slapping a new turbo on your car with no tune and no supporting mods won't do a damn thing for you? Man, I didn't see that coming with all of these fool proof, highly scientific tests you ran on your new turbo.

You will see exactly zero additional horsepowerz with your new Chinese turbo with no tune and no supporting modifications. If you think your N75 is bad, run a piece of vac line straight from the compressor housing to the waste gate and see if the over-boost condition goes away. You should see about 5psi from the waste gate alone. Do you even have a boost gauge? Vag Com?

Read the FAQ and the https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...rmation-93439/ thread.

INB4 "ZOMFG HELP MY TURBO ASPLODED"

Last edited by CCA4; 05-22-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Fixed FAQ link.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM
2nd Gear

Could not have been said better CCA4

Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

i just typed a whole ******* reply and it signed me out fml -_- .. i didnt get it installed today friends dad had work -_- but basicaly my ac is broke so i can remove the compressor to aid instilation and heres the turbos distributors website well one of the 1,000s and heres the manufactuer website wa-line.com the turbo housing is no ferrous the adapter part of the system of course is made of iron or something ferrous... my spelling is terrable deal with it . my n75 is rusty and the wire to it is missing the clip so it just slides in the connector ? how can i ghetto rig it . and my car is lucky to get a new turbo if i could have a guy give me a diy that would be amazing !!!!im broke currently but i do plan on buying a chip for it however other forums all say i will gain 25 hp instantly.... thats a whole honda

Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

my car has no boost gauge -_- previous owner treated this poor car so badly i have done soooo much to my car...... like cosmetics and iv fixed the sludge issues it had... i do have vag-com its the kkl 4.09 or whatever its "fully registered" on my vmware windows xp machine im good with computers so i got my cag-com setup for basicaly 7 $
xD im so cheap lol

Old 05-22-2013, 06:10 PM
1st Gear

so mr.devil you were bieng polite thank you . what experience have you had with these turbos could you explain im just skeptical why everyone says there bad and no one has documentation of a sort

Old 05-22-2013, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear

im so cheap lol
This is why you will be a bad Audi owner

Quick Reply: Chinese turbos the dark truth