B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Climate Control Buttons Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Climate Control Buttons Won't Work

Hi, I recently got a 1999 Audi A4 1.8T. I love the car and all, but the climate control buttons are stuck on it. It is a single climate control model, not double. The front defroster stays on constantly from the moment I start the car and the rear one I can turn on, but not off. I can't adjust the fan speed, or the temperature. Also, the off button and the Auto button are non responsive. I can push the circulation button and it lights up red, but it goes out as soon as I let go of it.
ANY help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin

Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear

Audizine.com has used unit's in the classified's

Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

mine was kinda doing the same thing... i saw the buttons sticking (the ones under the cup holder) and i figured that soda or what ever the last owner had spilled on it so i kept pressing them to loosen them up and bam it works again. hope this helps.... look for a button that stuck being pressed in.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

I now have the exact same problem as the original poster, but it's in my 1996 Audi A6 Quattro. I saw a gradual change from working perfectly to amcase's current symptoms.

Here are my symptoms: The auto, defrost, temp, fan speed, up arrow vent selection, and mid vent selection buttons are completely unresponsive. But the ac compressor, down arrow vent selection work perfectly, while the recirculate button only works while holding it in. All buttons move smoothly with no sticking.

These symptoms first occurred about 6 months ago, and a simple "tap tap" on the display caused it to work for another week or so. Then I would just do another quick tap to fix it for another week.
As a few months passed, I found a little more aggressive "tap tap"ing was required.
Then last month, no amount of slamming my fist against the darn thing would work! (I know, cave man problem solving). I ended up pulling over, shutting the car off, restarting, and a quick tap on the temperature screen fixed it.
Now, almost 6 months since the first indication, I can not make it work no matter what. It's stuck on full blast fan speed, I can hardly hear the radio, and I have to cycle the ac compressor on and off (one of the few controls to work) to regulate the temperature.

The car grew up in the high desert of Central Oregon, no rust or salt or humidity. Now I live in Hawaii (for 2 years now). Could this be a corrosion problem with the electronics? How can I test the problem to find a solution? Maybe replacing the whole AC Control Panel?

Thanks for the help,

Adam

Last edited by beebopbogo; 02-25-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

Hi,

last night my dad tore apart the center console without removal of the dash and what not. He took out the climate control and said there was dirt and sugar from possibly a spilled drink wedged in between the buttons. Since they are vacuum switches, he sprayed winded inbetween the buttons and took an air hose to clean all the crud out. He put it back together and all the buttons work perfect. Make sure you label the wires he said because there are alot of them. Also, make sure you know the radios security code before you take out the radio or else it will remained locked until you put the code in. I have an aftermarket headunit so I didn't need the original code

Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

I am having the same issues! A few weeks ago my climate control buttons seemed to get stuck but once the car had ran for a little while I was able to adjust them temp, this am I was able to turn on the defrost but within 10 mins it went off the "OFF" button is stuck in, I have attempted to clean in between the buttons with rubbing alcohol pads as a soda was spilled some time ago. Please advise on any other ways to fix without removing the entire control panel? I am going to try winded later today. I LOVE my Audi A6 and I am trying really hard to take care of it!!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

I had to fix this also, the best way is to pull the radio then pull the heater control panel out disassemble it wash all the buttons and then put it all back together. It's not hard at all. It's all electronic so not a lot of moving parts. It's a good time to clean the little fan in there too.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by beebopbogo
I now have the exact same problem as the original poster, but it's in my 1996 Audi A6 Quattro. I saw a gradual change from working perfectly to amcase's current symptoms.
You have a completely different CC head than these other guys. I think your problem is completely different. See this DIY.

AudiWorld Tech Articles