B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Clutch Replacement Parts Check

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Clutch Replacement Parts Check

1999.5 1.8T Quattro with GIAC Stage 1 chip. ~105K miles.

This will be my first clutch job, and want to make sure I have everything I need before I get started. Based on research, I believe I have all the required hand tools, and in addition I'll be ordering:
  1. Valeo Clutch Kit:
    Amazon.com: Valeo 52285615 Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Valeo 52285615 Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit: Automotive
    . Comes with SMF and pilot bearing
  2. Rear Crankshaft seal: 028103171B - Rear Crankshaft Seal - With Flange - ES#2803587
  3. Clutch Release Lever Clip: 012141741 - Clutch Release Lever Clip - ES#266051
  4. Clutch Fork: 012141719E - Clutch Fork - ES#2580901
  5. Strongway Trans Jack: Srongway Hydraulic Low Profile Transmission Jack — 1/2-Ton Capacity, 8 1/2in.–22 1/4in. Lift | Transmission Jacks| Northern Tool + Equipment

I have 4 of the 3-Ton HF jacks (max height is 16 3/4"), and I'm not sure they'll be high enough to get the transmission out. Should I also get a pair of the 6-Ton (max height 23 3/4")?

Thanks in advance.
- Jimmy

Old 05-01-2015, 01:57 PM

Looks like you're on the right track.

1)That's the same clutch I've had in 2 different cars, with a fair amount more power than you've got, so I recommend it.

2) For the rear crank seal, are you doing this because it's leaking or just because you'll have the flywheel off? It's relatively common for the installation of these to go wrong, and I've read about plenty of experienced guys messing it up and having a new oil leak.

3) Guessing you're replacing this because you'll have the trans out?

4) Same as 3) ?

5) I used the Harbor Freight transmission jack with success when I pulled my transmission:
450 lb. Low Lift Transmission Jack
If you have a 20% off coupon you might be able to save an extra $20 too.

I think you'll be okay with the 3-ton jack, and if not, you can always use wood between jack and car to gain more lift.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply MetalMan, and the sage advice. You're right, the other parts were "while I'm in there" repairs, and I could see myself making things worse given my wrenching skills.

I'm going to go with the 800-lb HF Trans Jack (800 lb. Low Lift Transmission Jack) and spring for the 6-Ton jack stands. I'm going to give a pair of my 3-ton stands to a buddy along with a socket set today for his birthday.

Thanks again!
- Jimmy

Old 05-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by MetalMan
It's relatively common for the installation of these to go wrong, and I've read about plenty of experienced guys messing it up and having a new oil leak.
I am one of those guys. I would take the stance here as if it aint broke, don't fix it. However, after messing one up, I know what to look for.

If you are going to do it, ensure the lip seal does no invert.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice. Right now I plan on doing just the clutch and flywheel (whatever comes in the Valeo kit). I was on the fence on the pilot bearing replacement, but from what I've read, those only tend to go bad if the transmission mounts fail. Makes sense considering it would put stress on that bearing.

Tonight I'm putting the A4 up on jack stands for an inspection and soak those exhaust bolts in PB Blaster. Worst case is I can drive down to Sunset Audi on Friday and pick up a new pilot bearing. Drop the exhaust tomorrow, and clutch Sat/Sun... and knowing me, probably Monday as well.

The 20% HF coupon states it doesn't apply to floor jacks, but it works definitely works on transmission jacks.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:39 PM

Hi I like the clutch kit that you used I found a way better deal on here than in the parts store but amazon is saying that it won't fit on my 99 a4 quattro 2.8 5 speed, any idea where I can find the one for my car or if this one will work?

Old 05-24-2015, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

I normally don't trust Amazon's "this part fits/does not fit your car", but in this case they are correct. Based on some research, the 2.8 clutch and flywheel are slightly larger, and the 2.8 flywheel has a trigger (not sure what that is).

2.8L 30V Clutch Options

The most cost effective option is to have someone resurface your flywheel for you, but based on research, getting someone to resurface our dual-mass flywheels is tough. I didn't try as the single-mass flywheel conversion (Valeo) was perfectly fine with me. If I had a 2.8 I'd make some calls to see how far I could get with the resurface option.

I believe this Valeo kit will fit your 2.8: Buy Clutch Conversion Kit (2.8L, Solid Flywheel) - by Valeo | Europa Parts. Unfortunately runs a bit more $550.

The guy who wrote the awesome DIY post on happywrenching.com (Audi A4 Clutch Replacement | Happy Wrenching) got his 2.8 flywheel resurfaced and was running fine for a few years until his car was totaled.

When I was first shopping for my clutch kits, I noticed big price differences, and the cheaper option was always just the pressure plate + clutch (no flywheel). Make sure you're comparing the correct parts.