B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Cranks but no start

Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Cranks but no start

Two weeks ago my car started to requiring two key off/on cranks with the occasional pressing of the gas peddle,hard starting when hot and cts sensor started working on and off. So ordered new CTS,fuel pump,fuel Filter,plugs,air filter etc…. The car has 214K and 1.8t M Fwd. So on last Saturday I replace Fuel Pump,Fuel Filter,Air Filter,& Plugs. Later that night the car still had lazy starting problem and made it home to park it. Next morning car wouldn’t start at all so I replaced CTS and saw coolant migration. The CTS even had two small holes in it. I cleaned CTS harness and pulled ECM and there was a fate amount of coolant at the end of the harness. I pulled open the ECM and all was clean including external pins. Cleaned harness and replaced ECM Relay #30 do to smelled burned when checked relay, no start, replaced Fuel Relay, no start. So I replaced Crankshaft sensor, no start, replaced Camshaft Sensor, no start. I even swapped out crankshaft sensor with a known working one, no start. No I even switched out ECM no start, I noticed no CEL when on the acc position with either ECM. I only get EPC,Battery,ABS,& Brake Lights. I have check I got spark screw driver in coil method,I have fuel tested fuel rail. The on code I could pull with scanner was for a bad CAT. I’m at wits end trying to figure this car out

Old 10-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Certified

WOW , your going to go broke trying to fix it at this rate. Why did you replace all those parts without testing them?
Time to get the car to a repair shop that can fix your car before you need a second mortgage for parts.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem but where your car is a no start condition, mine is a struggle to start first time condition, stalls on itself as well as running poor when cold and rough idle. I have replaced as much sensors as you have if not more, still nothing. Will be replacing the throttle body soon again with a brand new one as I am getting a TPS error code as well as adaption mixture error codes which I am hoping is due to the TPS.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

make sure your cables are tight on your battery... mine weren't making a good connection and created a no start condition

Old 11-02-2013, 08:55 AM
1st Gear

Lazy, hard starting when cold or only starting with the gas pedal depressed with no check engine light or any DTCs are signs of a bad engine coolant sensor or the wiring to the sensor. I just went thru the same deal on my sons 2.8L earlier this summer. Changed the fuel pump, plug, wires, pulled the fuel injectors, etc. and it turned out to be a 15 dollar temperature sender. Take your spare sender (since you replaced one already), connect it to the harness and stick it in a cup of hot water and see if your gauge reads something, and see if the car will start while the sender is seeing the hot water temp.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Mark C I tried that yesterday it registered the boiling water and still nothing. Even got hold Vagcom and can't connect to ECM, so it going to local Vdub shop tomorrow. thank everyone for the help I'll update with the solution.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

So, what did you find to be the problem?