B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

engine timing fuse\flashing CEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 PM
1st Gear
Default engine timing fuse\flashing CEL

Hello everyone its me again.. After fixing one problem another always seems to come up after! I was driving the car today and bout a block later the CEL started flashing and car studders and runs really weak. I got it home and checked out the coil packs and seems like the first one is not firing/sparking at all. (checked by turning the car on and removing it).Car starts but doesnt run good. Next I saw a grounding cord right by my coil packs and it was hanging by 1 wire. So i cut it off and stripped out more and bolted the ground back in. Now I think it is blowing my engine timing fuse( fuse #32) and it is now the reason why my car does not start. I can put a new fuse in and the car starts but it will blow in about 1-2 mins. I went through about 5 fuses.

I know that flashing CEL means misfire. I dont have anything to pull up codes yet, and I am sorry i know its hard to do anything without codes. But I am still waiting on my vag-com in the mail. But maybe from someone can help out.

Should I just go ahead and order a new coilpack and/Or ignition control unit?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

If you have bad coilpacks...then order new ones.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

I am on top of that. But if my problem isnt solve can the ICU play any part in this?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear

ICM, yes. They are known for going out. If the coilpacks do not fix it, then your ICM is the likely culprit.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE

Okay so I was trying to figure out why my Engine timing fuse kept blowing. And so I thought about and the only thing i really messed with was the ground wire right by the coil packs. I completely disconnected the ground and my fuse didnt blow! Is it possible that because it was only held in by 2 strain of wire it doesnt cause a shortage? Because when I stripped out more wires to make it more a sturdy connection it would short? This very strange to me. Anyone know why its doing this.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

Wanted to update my problem. Im still having the same problem. I just replaced all my coilpacks and im still having a flashing CEL /Misfire.. im starting to think if the ground for the plugs have anythign to do with it because right now its currently not grounded.. the wires were all frayed up but i fixed that problem and when i ground it back im still having it blow my engine timing fuse (10 fuses blown!) Also everyone is having trouble connecting to my OBD and i dont know why i do have a aftermarket stereo but my kline is not shorted out. So i cant pull up any codes.

Anyone know what could be the problem?

NEED HELP and SUGGESTION PLEASE!

BTW when the car is running it smells like gas really bad.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

UPDATE

Well i THINK i have found out what COULD be the problem with the misfire and shortage. The coilpack wiring harness on cyl #1 is mostly exposed and not quite 100%. How hard would it be to replace the coil pack harness? Can I just replace only the one or does it have to be the whole set?

]

Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

Final Update

I know I'm talking to myself in this thread =\ but, I wanted to come back and say a couple things and summarize to hopefully help someone else that one day might run into this problem and fix it without an OBD. After I got my flashing CEL I bought and replaced all my coil packs and that didnt fix the problem. I thought about it being the ICM/ICU but it wasnt. It ended up being one of the harness wires for the coil packs. The wires were so frayed up and exposed under the boot that it cause my ground(on the valve cover) to cause a shortage and fry my #32 fuse ( engine timing) which without it the car didnt start. I used electrical tape and some connectors and it fixed the problem with my misfire. I will need to replace the harness eventually. Hope this helps anyone else.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM
1st Gear

im having the same issues you are having wit the cel flashing... an not being able to get any codes... ima do the same you did buh were you able to get the codes after that???

Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BigCel24
im having the same issues you are having wit the cel flashing... an not being able to get any codes... ima do the same you did buh were you able to get the codes after that???
I have been inactive for awhile as I no longer have the car. Saw your reply on my email so i'd stop by and try to help.

By the same thing do you mean your wire is all jacked up, or are you just having a flashing cel or both? But to answer your question, I did not have a code afterwards. I just went ahead and cleared it anyways and the check engine light went away. Flashing CEL means a misfire check your coil pack, spark plugs, wire,icm etc etc.. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: engine timing fuse\flashing CEL