B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine won't start after serpentine belt broke

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:32 PM

i'd buy a scanner then return it. keep the receipt. walmart is really good with returns but i don't know if they sell scanners. you could get a cheap one from ebay - though i've never used them. or they also sell the USB cables on ebay and you can get the software for free.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:34 PM
5th Gear

no there's no manual ways like the GM. you don't have an autozone by you? they have those loaner tools. i think you should fix the wires or buy new ones. there's a DIY on how to fix your wires but idk you broke yours so it may or may not work. it definitely sounds like an ignition issue since you are getting plenty of fuel. it could also be a crank sensor.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 PM

Autozone and Kragen won't loan code readers -- they will only sell them. Walmart doesn't seem to have any on their website. I'll try the wrecking yards for the plug wires, but at this point I am hesitant to spend any more money on the car if it's a paperweight. I see a $200 tow bill and a $1000+ repair bill in my near future on a car that wholesales out for $2400 running. Its a nice car, but I'm not that sentimental -- especially when I'm broke.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
3rd Gear

a code reader (vagcom) will tell you whats wrong in minutes. without one though, its pretty much hit or miss as to a diagnosis. if you have a laptop go on ebay and type in "OBD code reader" and buy one for $20. then go to ross-tech.com and download a free version of vagcom. hook it all up and you can scan codes and read basic settings.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 PM

What's your battery voltage? You no doubt lost some battery juice when you lost your belt so it may not be fully charged

Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 PM

Battery is good -- replaced about 3 months ago and is on a charger in between cranking fests.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:35 PM
4th Gear

You really need to look around again for messed up wiring. If that belt shredded as you say, it went everywhere potentiality taking out anything. I really dont see the acc. belt causing a jump in timing.. unless it really was the other way around.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Site Moderator

Last time my 98 sounded like a diesel it was because the timing belt tensioner had broken and the belt was flopping. Unless you have done a TB change and put in the new TB tensioner style, I would take off the belt cover and take a look.

I also agree with the other posts about rechecking ALL wiring.

You might also want to look into a new coolant temp sensor - if that goes bad it can flood the engine and keep the car from starting.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

well I've been thru bent valves and endless diagnosis, the answer came with compression test....it's cheap and easy and you will know instantly whether to spend time/money or not on other tests...make sure you got all the spark plugs out and depress gas pedal while testing...good luck...junk yard (car-part.com) or ebay/craigslist for used head(s)...

Old 07-31-2009, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

for a compression test, you want to only remove one spark plug at a time. leave the others in. you want it as close to normal operating conditions as possible. you dont drive the car with all the plugs removed do you?

if the engine is cold your numbers may be slightly off. if you get low compression in any of them, put half a tablespoon of WD40 or seafoam or any light oil in the cylinder and try again. if it goes up that means its your rings not the valves/head.

Quick Reply: Engine won't start after serpentine belt broke