B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Getting into my first Audi, a few Qs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM
1st Gear
Smile Getting into my first Audi, a few Qs.

Hello all!

I'm about to strike a deal for my first Audi to join my fleet of fine European cars. It's a 1996 A4 2.8 Quatro with 240k miles on the clock. I am asking for a bit of feedback on some issues with the car so i know what i am getting into. I will start off with a Pro and Con list.

Pro:
-Has fresh control arms and front axels
-New power steering rack (*a)
-New power steering pump (*b)
-Engine runs smooth and quiet
-Took it for a spin and its very responsive and solid feeling
-Body is ok, few dings but no rust that i saw
-New timing belt and ect. as of last fall
-New alternator and battery

Cons:
-Looks like the door hinges are bad, both front doors have a lot of up and down play and are difficult to open
-Steering wheel is upside down (*a). I was told the rack was assembled incorrectly and what ever makes the connection to the steering shaft was installed upside down.
-New pump whines (*b). Who ever installed the new pump put the wrong fluid in.
-Clutch grabs VERY high. I did some research and it seems common.
-MIL for bad O2 sensor (as far as im told, will return with OBDII scanner this weekend)
-High miles, but i've owned a couple high mile cars without issue

So my questions:
1. Is this story about the steering rack an issue? Can i just undo a steering knuckle some where and put the wheel right side up?

2. Are there repair kits for the doors to put them back to plumb?

3. It seems the clutch is not adjustable, are there mods i can do to bring the grab point down? Smaller master cylinder maybe?

4. Anything i should check on being a high mileage car?

5. Could flushing the power steering fluid fix the whine? If the pump is damaged, think the rack is ok? The power steering feels nice and smooth.

Little bit about me:

I'm an IT guy who is also a weekend gear head. I have 2 Volvo's and a Nissan (The Nissan is going to be the trade for the A4). I do most of the work on my cars from oil changes to engine swaps. I am rebuilding a trans at the moment for my DD, a Volvo 850 Trubo Wagon. My buddy needs an automatic, reliable car that his wife can use when he needs to use the bigger car. That's how this deal came about.

Anywho, Thanks for reading and i would like to thank you a head of time for any input you may have for me. I look forward to hearing from you all and to have fun with my new Audi.

Last edited by sp00nix; 03-22-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM

you can't install the rack upside down or it wouldn't connect to the yoke of the column. you can however put the wheel on wrong if your a complete idiot. Did they do the rest of the maintenance via the same way they did the rack and wheel? if so i would stay away solely on that principal. MY audi clutch engaged high when I first got it and shortly after the clutch went out. High mileage isn't a problem if they can prove its been maintained properly. Door hinges you can easily get from a part out or a yard. Im not sure if the wrong fluid would cause it to whine? someone could confirm that, but if they put the wrong fluid in again, stay away they obviously don't know what they are doing.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
you can't install the rack upside down or it wouldn't connect to the yoke of the column. you can however put the wheel on wrong if your a complete idiot. Did they do the rest of the maintenance via the same way they did the rack and wheel? if so i would stay away solely on that principal. MY audi clutch engaged high when I first got it and shortly after the clutch went out. High mileage isn't a problem if they can prove its been maintained properly. Door hinges you can easily get from a part out or a yard. Im not sure if the wrong fluid would cause it to whine? someone could confirm that, but if they put the wrong fluid in again, stay away they obviously don't know what they are doing.
Hi jonbonesjones,

Unfortunately i know the idiot who worked on it so i wouldn't doubt it, but he did not do all the work to this car. He claimed something on the rack was not assembled correctly and that's why it couldn't be connected right, but he probably rushed the install and realized the wheel was clocked upside down afterwards and made up that story. As for the fluid, i could have done the same thing so i'll let that slide (i use ATF in my other cars).

Can the wheel simply be disconnected, re-clocked and connected back again (at the rack)?

Thanks!

Last edited by sp00nix; 03-22-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:10 PM
2nd Gear

Timing, timing, timing, timing, system. The whole she-bang. Mucho importanto.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DOC_DEPALMA
Timing, timing, timing, timing, system. The whole she-bang. Mucho importanto.
That was the first thing i asked, it was done last fall, i forgot to mention that. I'll make an edit.

Last edited by sp00nix; 03-22-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM

you can flip the wheel easily but that doesn't change the wrongly installed rack. every fluid in audi is special or unique in some way. how much does this person want for said audi?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
you can flip the wheel easily but that doesn't change the wrongly installed rack. every fluid in audi is special or unique in some way. how much does this person want for said audi?
Strait up trade for my 1991 Stanza. Hes going to get that fixed, i just talked to him. The rest i can handle.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Get the fluid completely out of the steering system and put in Pentosin CHF11S. The wrong fluid can ruin the rack seals and possibly lead to pump failure since the fluid lubricates the pump.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Guru

or like said, just don't buy this car, cause it sounds like it will be a huge headache later