B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help 1996 Audi A4 2.8L v6 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Default Help 1996 Audi A4 2.8L v6 overheating

Hello Everyone,
Hope someone can help me I been getting suckered with all this mechanics.
My car was running normal about 2 weeks ago then all of a sudden i noticed a slight temperature change on my gauge going up to half. I was running fine throughout the day then all of a sudden it went up a little and then back down. I drove to CT about 1 and halh hours and fine no issue with overheating. The drove back home to NJ at night and the gauge now starting to go higher but the car did not overheat or reach the red line. When I arrived home i noticed the cooling fan spin for about 5 seconds and shut off. The next day I went to turn on the car parked and left it on idle and the gauge went way up after about 15 minutes and the warning light came on. I took it to a mechanic not Audi authorized and tried to tell me it is my waterpump.
My question is as follows if my cooling fan is not spinning can it be the waterpump. I also was told the coolant is not running through the system since the hose on the drivers side was hot but the passenger side was cold.
Would a Flush help ? He stated it can also be a thermostat but it is a big job so I might as well change the waterpump he stated. I am getting varying info another mechanics since some state it might be a fuse or relay or the actual cooling fan switch and not a waterpump. I am soo confused HELP!!!!!...I do not want to be sucked into getting a waterpump when it might not be. Does my Audi have a fuse on the drivers side controling the fan ? If yes where is it located ? also if the cooling fan does not spin can it be caused by a thermostat or waterpump. New Audi owner so confused here Please!!! Thanks guys.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear

prob a bad sensor coolent sensor i would say

Old 11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
4th Gear

I also was told the coolant is not running through the system since the hose on the drivers side was hot but the passenger side was cold.
Thermostat and/or pump...

The Coolant Fan Thermoswitch is located in the Bottom Left part of the radiator.. if coolant is not flowing, the fan most likely will NOT turn on..

How long has it been since the Timing Belt and Pump were changed? I can see the pump starting to go and taking out the belt which then takes out the engine...

However, if you are worried it might not be the pump, changing the Cooling Fan Thermoswitch is cheap and easy...

Old 11-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Hey guys well thats what i needed confirmation...The car has 133000 and I purchased it about 2 months ago. The person I purchased it from never did change it but not sure about the past owners. Where is the relay sensor located ? Is this something you think I can change myself ? How about the thermo switch you think I can change this myself as well ? I know though the coolant is not flowing since the hose on the passenger side is cold and the one on the drivers side is hot. I also noticed the coolant is not the one advised from Audi it is a green color not pink.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by cisnal
I know though the coolant is not flowing since the hose on the passenger side is cold and the one on the drivers side is hot. I also noticed the coolant is not the one advised from Audi it is a green color not pink.
If one side is hot as hell and the other is cold at idle then it's the thermostat! I did mine on my 1.8T in about an hr, but that was years ago and I don't remember it being all that hard. Good luck I would think you can DIY for cheap!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:38 PM
4th Gear

On a 2.8, and, since your not sure about when sevice was done, I would just go ahead and get the whole TB/WP/Thermostat/pullies done..

The thermoswitch is is on the bottom left of the radiator.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:13 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
On a 2.8, and, since your not sure about when sevice was done, I would just go ahead and get the whole TB/WP/Thermostat/pullies done.

I agree 100%

Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

I agree also with both suggestions, that it is a stuck thermostat, and that you should do the whole 60k service since you're not sure of the car's history. It's not a difficult job if you're mechanically inclined, and you can do it the first time in 6-7 hours. Where are you located? Maybe some local AF guys would be willing to help in exchange for beer and pizza. If you're near NY, our crew up here can help you out.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 PM
4th Gear

And make sure you put the right coolant back in... That green crap is BAD JU-JU...

Old 11-11-2009, 10:14 AM

Thank you guys again. Most likley it is the thermostat as you all agree then.
I was told chnging the thermostat on an 1996 a4 is a 5 hour job and everything needs to be dismantled. I am not a mechanic at all LOL so it is scary!! I live in Central NJ so if anyone knows anyone around the area to do everything it will be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Help 1996 Audi A4 2.8L v6 overheating