B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear
Default A/C Problems

I can't search for A/C before someone gives a smart remark. And I also already googled it. But having a hard time coming up with specific Audi related information.

I don't think the fan clutch is engaging. I bought the car in Nov and thought the A/C worked, but now I realize it was just cold outside. I bought a recharger gauge to check it and it read "May have mechanical problem, over 100psi"

It's kind of hard to hear if the darn thing is even engaging. Now I checked the fuses, and I read on another forum to run a positive wire to the compressor to see if I hear it engage. Which I think I'll try, it's just 90 outside today and I don't feel like crawling under my car right now.

Anyone know trouble shooting procedures? I'd like to narrow it down before I take the thing to a shop. I'd actually like to avoid the shop.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:32 AM

you might measure the refrigerant pressures.

with the system off, the ambient pressure on both the high & low sides should be ~70 PSI, depending on the ambient temperature.

if so, then, with the gauge on the low side fitting, turn the A/C on. the low side pressure should drop to ~40 PSI.

if the ambient pressure is OK & the low side pressure does not drop, your A/C compressor is not working.

if the ambient pressure is low, the compressor clutch will not engage. you can buy a charge can, that has a low side pressure gauge & add refrigerant until the gauge reading is in the green zone.

i think it sounds like your refrigerant charge is low.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by danzan
you might measure the refrigerant pressures.

with the system off, the ambient pressure on both the high & low sides should be ~70 PSI, depending on the ambient temperature.

if so, then, with the gauge on the low side fitting, turn the A/C on. the low side pressure should drop to ~40 PSI.

if the ambient pressure is OK & the low side pressure does not drop, your A/C compressor is not working.

if the ambient pressure is low, the compressor clutch will not engage. you can buy a charge can, that has a low side pressure gauge & add refrigerant until the gauge reading is in the green zone.

i think it sounds like your refrigerant charge is low.
Apparently you missed this

Originally Posted by mikekey
I bought a recharger gauge to check it and it read "May have mechanical problem, over 100psi"
100psi, if anything it's over charged.

I found a mobile A/C repair guy to come look at it for 30 bucks.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM

yep, i missed it.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear

Well that was worth my $30 bucks, guy came out, checked all the lines, and the compressor. He said the magnetic clutch on the compressor isn't engaging. So looks like I'll need to replace the clutch. On the plus side, he said I have a full charge and no leaks in the lines.

However he did point out that I have a rather nasty oil leak on that side that is leaking on the A/C compressor. Not excited about that.

Last edited by mikekey; 05-06-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

When he said the compressor wouldnt engage did he say he tried to manually jump it to start it.. if not you might want to try that. There are reasons the A/C compressor wouldnt engage, i.e a bad pressure switch or bad relay.. a bad compressor too but you would want to make sure he ruled out the others.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

I don't think he tried to jump start it.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

Well you might want to manually supply power to the compressor and see if it engages.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear

I plan on it tomorrow. It's 90 outside today and I just don't feel like crawling under the car. That's why I had some dude come do it for me, lol.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

Does anyone know where the A/C Clutch Control Relay is located?

Quick Reply: A/C Problems