B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help! My headlights stopped working!! 96 A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Help! My headlights stopped working!! 96 A4

I have a 96 A4 quattro 139k good condition well taken care of. I was driving last night down a dark road switching between my high beams and all of a sudden my headlights went out. I flipped my lever up and down several times and they finally came back on after 5-10 filps. But when I shut off the car, they didn't come back on. I checked all my fuses none are burnt. The corner bulbs come on like they should but no headlights and my fogs don't come on either and the switch doesn't light up when the lever is up for the headlights. Anyone have this happen before, I tried to search and found nothing. Any help is great. thanks

Old 05-24-2008, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Help! My headlights stopped working!! 96 A4

Wow, you searched and didn't come up with anything? Thats amazing since this is a pretty common problem. Your headlight switch is bad. There is a little white plastic piece imbeded deep within the switch that melts and prevents the contacts from making contact. Usually you can take the switch apart and free up the white piece but the problem will likely return. You could run into the same problem with a used switch so be forewarned. They are probably expensive from the dealer too.

The real cure to the problem (which I haven't gotten around to doing yet) is to use the power from the switch to trigger a relay that will then pass the higher current supply voltage to the headlights. The low amperage that's required to trigger the relay wont melt the plastic part inside the switch then. Problem solved.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:51 PM
3rd Gear

Do your highbeams still work if you pull the lever towards you and hold it? If so, it's the combination switch. It's pretty easy to replace, about $130 new and half that if you can find it at a junk yard.

Otherwise, it's probably your ignition switch for which I believe there is a recall for 1996 A4s.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

Yes my highbeams still work so you are right sineo its the combination switch I did a google search for the problem after I searched the forums and came up with this http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec114.shtmlI will be doing it tomorrow I have to pick up a M12 Torx and the one for the two holding the steering wheel cover on. I took a picture of my car finally. I need to do a respray on my bumpers but I like my new rims. I only have had the car for a week. I walked past a bimmer today and did not shead a tear. I do not miss my bimmer, I love the Audi A4 so much more

Old 05-24-2008, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

Old 05-24-2008, 05:34 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: nflea7
I will be doing it tomorrow I have to pick up a M12 Torx and the one for the two holding the steering wheel cover on.
That DIY you found is the best around. Just don't forget to disconnect the battery! Wait, do you have your radio code (disregard if not using stock head unit)?

Old 05-24-2008, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

After market radio, and I will make sure to disconnect the battery. Thanks!

Old 05-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Administrator

To my recollection, it's a T30 Torx for the airbag bolts on the back of the wheel, and a T55 to take off the wheel.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

My 98 has a triple square holding the steering wheel on. Something big, I think it was a 12mm triple square.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Ok took it all apart today found out I have a nice big nut holding on my wheel not the M12 but the parts yard in the area has the sport 3 spoke wheel I had my eye on that no one snagged yet because of the M12 but I am not sure I want to pay for or mess with the air bag. Ok but new problem so now my lights work great I filed down the copper connectors and cleaned the insides of my headlight switch, but now I have no cluster lights??? are you kidding me? Plus I figure why not change my oil today as long as I was working on my car and guess what, snapped my oil pan bolt. WTF??? So could it just be a fuse for my instrument cluster or is it my friend the light switch again that I didn't put back together right some how?

Quick Reply: Help! My headlights stopped working!! 96 A4