B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How much Coolant does 1.8t take? coolant capacity

Old 08-20-2010, 06:14 PM
1st Gear
Question How much Coolant does 1.8t take? coolant capacity

Hi,
So i after doing my coolant flush and running the hose water threw the container and draining it from the bottom driver sides radiator's red + sign outlet, i let all the water drain out from there then the next day i filled up with mixture of 50/50 half g12 and half distilled water, my questions is how much was it supposed to take because i put in approx like 5.5 leters or so then it came to the max line, after getting it warmed up and having the heat on and then driving around for a little bit not soo much has changed , like it hasnt taken in any more than that. is this normal?
how much is it supposed to take , anyone?

thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Site Moderator

It should take almost 2 gallons to fill it which is 7 liters or something. It should have dropped some after you started the engine. You left the cap off the coolant tank when you first started the engine, right?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

ok well after changing my thermostat a lot of it poured out as i removed the bolts, then i replaced the thermostat then i followed the DIY which was unscrewing the bottom RED thing letting old coolant out then filling it back up with hose water, then turn on the car and let it run with high heat on and then release that and i did that a few times, then the last time of doing it i let all the water drain out, then i closed the RED thing and filled it up with misture of g12 with distilled water and it went down a little before the car was turned on. then i filled it all the way and turned ont he car then after a little bit i topped it of a little bit more and thats about it, it didnt take any more than that
so in total i would say it took aprox like 5.2-5.5 leters or so. And yes i had the top off the whole time the car was running and i was filling

Thanks

Old 08-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Site Moderator

Should be fine if the tank level is good, you have heat, and the engine doesn't over heat.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

yeah the heat seemed to work fine, and also do you think that if the engine was to overheat i would have done so in that short driving distance or even at idle or is this something that would happen like after a long period of driving?

see the thing is someone told me that when i release the coolant from the red+ plug only 50% of it all comes out or something, then when i do the rinse by adding water and releaseing there is still water left in there so i should have just added the 1 gallon of g12 and which it would have mixed with the rest of the water and that would have been proper mix, i am having hard time believeing this because if thats the case then wouldent the total capacity be more than 6 leters...? i am not sure which is the correct way

Old 08-21-2010, 12:32 PM
4th Gear

There is a plug in the back side of the waterpump near where you replaced your t-stat. When you first drained and while flushing you should have opened the drain on the radiator and at the waterpump.

When I filled mine after replacing the waterpump, it took 6 full liters, 3 of G12 and 3 distilled water and it was just over the min line for me. If yours took 5.5 liters of 50/50 mix, I'm sure you have a close enough mix to be safe.

Let the car idle up to temp, take it out for a spirited drive, keep an eye on the temp gauge, and have fun. But be careful, if you car decides to overheat, it will go from normal to overheated in a matter of a couple minutes. But if you haven't had any problems up to now, I would say you're good to go...

Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Oh thanks a lot for all the info, that really helps. I mean i really didnt know about the plug behind the back side of the waterpump (so if i release this would it have released more old coolant ?)
Yeah mine took about 5.5 or so and i have been driving on it like that and the needle is right in the middle , if it was to overheat would it have done that already or it takes time for it to cerculate and stuff, i really doubt it right?
after a little while i am going to check the mixture concentration to make sure i have enough coolant in there because someone was saying that some water and stuff gets stuck in the hose and engine so when i do the 50/50 mix its actually little less than that because of the ater already inside

Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Tech Slut

You're fine, water actually cools better than coolant. The coolant mostly just keeps it from freezing. If your still above the min line then your good to go.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Should be fine if the tank level is good, you have heat, and the engine doesn't over heat.
I change my radiator out .. coolant level still pops up saying turn engine off check coolant level.. I only put one gallon