B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How reliable is an AUDI A4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 02:06 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by SuperStuff
No he's not a rocket scientest, but he is a scientest! Obviously he loves his A4 and since he makes good money is willing to put money into it as well as his BMW M3 Roadster. He's just stating facts as he has witnessed for reliability on two cars from his family. Your comment basically says the same thing on reliability for the Audi. Just in a different condescending way.
You mean Z3 roadster? Well like I said, you pay what you get for and the most important thing is to love what you drive. I was just pointing out that its obvious their reliabilty and economy is gonna be way different. But so will the ride

Old 08-09-2008, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by euro_2nr
You mean Z3 roadster? Well like I said, you pay what you get for and the most important thing is to love what you drive. I was just pointing out that its obvious their reliabilty and economy is gonna be way different. But so will the ride
Yes the BMW M Roadster (MZ3) which is the performance version of the Z3. My coworker's M Roadster is black, but here is a picture of a silver one from Wikipedia. Great looking car. Hoping to get a ride in it this next week to assess it better.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Post It is not a Honda but....it is NOT a Honda (get it?)

An Audi is not your every day brand that you can keep outside your garage, leave it dirty and neglect it like most people do to ordinary brands. If you are responsible enough to take care of it, the A4 will give you much more value than ANY other brand. Make sure, first of all, that you can afford it, and that you are responsible enough to anticipate time on oil and fluid changes, lubrication, tire pressure, fuel injector cleaning time, and simple things as washing the car. If you are going to own an A4, you must be up to date on the trends, issues and risks of the car. If you stay on top of every aspect of your car as much as possible, the A4 will make you proud. The longer you can keep the car clean, with its proper fluid levels changed periodically, and not abusing of the car in any way, the longer it will deliver its value. Our other car is a Honda, and believe me: that van is awesome in every way, BUT IT WILL NEVER BE AS FUN TO DRIVE AS OUR A4.

Blk 2001 A4 (B5) 1.8T, 94,5K mi - Sports Pkg, 8000K Xenon, Cold Wthr Pkg.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

Ha, was that A4 owner a f*cking rocket scientist! Obviously an Audi isn't gonna be as cheap as a Honda. They're ECONOMICAL vehicles and Audi's are LUXURY vehicles. I hate it when people try to compare Germans to Yota's and Honduh's. Its like comparing apples to watermelons. Two entirely different vehicles. Keep in mind that you pay what you get for: Honda's are meh.... Audi's are baller status (unless it aint taken care of which even a Veyron will look like ****)
What???

Now, I have had and worked seriously on a ton of cars in my lifetime.

SO, compare an Acura to an Audi then.

I have both right now, and can say that the Acura is built way better than the Audi.

I have had a Honda Accord, and that is built better than the VW Passat that I bought and flipped a number of years ago.

And VW was still selling cars with manually adjusted brakes in January 1980.

My stable has had:

- 4 VW's
- 1 2001 Audi
- 1 1993 Honda
- 1 1997 Acura
- 1 2000 Subaru
- 1 1994 Range Rover
- 1 2000 BMW 540i
- 2003 Navigator
- 2002 Expedition
Numerous MG's
Numerous GM's and Fords
Numerous other cars like Toyota, European Ford, A Chrysler. In all honsety - I'd have to count them. I have 9 cars/trucks running at my house right now.
Worked on anything with 4, 2, wheels including boats.

VW/Audi is a strange breed

And, there must be some engineer that has stock in stainless steel hose clamps that are not designed to be reused....

Last edited by racerock; 08-11-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to bump this, but would you say they are more work to keep up then say a Benz or a BMW?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear

in more than 5 words...yes.
Originally Posted by kovalchuk71
Sorry to bump this, but would you say they are more work to keep up then say a Benz or a BMW?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 AM
1st Gear

Nearly all of my money goes into my car, I'm a broke college student, so that's not saying much, but it is a fact.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 AM

Being around German cars now for a year now, this is how i feel: Anything that takes 1 hr on a Honda will take 4 hrs for an Audi. Anything that cost $100 dollars will cost $400. I am glad I have been fortunate enough to have the recourses that I can work on my own cars and not have to pay the dealership fees. Is not that anything is hard, its that it takes so damn long, and the designers make everything so much more complicated than what is needed.

Reliability is about the same as my dsm's I have owned and that is you have to take care of the car. You can't get behind on maintenece and you can't go cheap on parts. In other words if you take good care of the car, it will take good care of you.

But Audi's are not for those who are on a budget and take their car to a dealership or mechanic just for a $100 oil change, or a $200 'tune up.' Repair costs can really catch up if your paying someone and this is one reason VAG cars become so cheap after they loose their warranty.

But... they can be just as reliable when compared to anything if well cared for.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:20 AM
2nd Gear

BTW Acura's are horrible cars. They may be reliable and a good value but as for quality their style is terrible and its not much of an upgrade from the Honda's.
Acura's run Honda motors and most of the same engineering (or so I've been told) so this statement is actually fairly accurate.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 AM
3rd Gear

So what's the point of this fvcking necro bump???

NO Audi's are NOT reliable. You will have tons of money and time spent on repairs if you havent already. If you want reliability buy yourself a 4 cylinder Accord. Or better yet, be smart and buy yourself a daily driver and keep the Audi as the "weekend" car

Quick Reply: How reliable is an AUDI A4?