B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Finding OEM Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Default Finding OEM Catalytic Converters

Hey guys, first of all I want to thank you for your help. I am a new guy here and I have been searching all of the website to see what CATS I should get for my Audi since both right and left need to be replaced. My mechanic warned me about using universal CATS because they might give me a CEL. Most threads say to buy the universal CATS and be done with it. I have called local muffler shops and they tell me that if the CAT is not located correctly the second O2 sensor will give a code. My mechanic said that someone bought the DEC Direct-fit Catalytic Converters found in Auto Parts Warehouse or other online stores and the person still got the CEL. Does any one know of an OEM CAT that WILL work with our models other than the dealerships $700 CATS. [:@]

Thank You

Old 12-07-2006, 01:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Finding OEM Catalytic Converters

Dont get an OEM Cat. They suck and if you ever replace ur exhaust, it will bottleneck the hell outta it. I say get a High Flow Cat (or a test pipe as im sure some will recommend).

I got mine from Labree Motorsports for $250. Way nicer than any OEM Cat at a fraction of the price...

Its custom made to fit ur car and its a direct fit. Comes with all the spots for O2 sensor hookups and I dont get a CEL from it either. I did get one at first, but went to Autozone and they read it and flashed the codes and they never came back. Get new gaskets too if ur car has some miles on it. ECSTuning has them for cheap and they fit nicely.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

THERE WAS A SERVICE BULLETIN OUT ON MY 2000 2.8 THAT CALLED FOR A RE-PROGRAM OF THE ECU.
I WAS GETTING THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT COMING ON THAT SAID THE PRESSURE SENSORS UP AND DOWNSTREAM OF THE CAT'S WERE BAD. THE DEALER SAID I HAD TO REPLACE THE CAT'S AT FIRST, THEN THE SERVICE BULLETIN CAME OUT A FEW MONTHS LATER. I JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW, NOT SURE WHY YOU ARE REPLACING THEM.

ERIC

Old 12-07-2006, 02:49 PM

hey, if I get my cats removed, I'll send them to you for the price of shipping. I will know tomorrow if they're coming off this weekend, depending on whether my buddy wants to build me the test-pipes for it... only problem is whether or not he has time. I don't have emissions here, so I have nothing to worry about.

EDIT: I'm assuming since you said right and left you have a 2.8, correct? Mines a 30V.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 PM

I need both right and left. The reason I have to replace them is because they are making a rattling noise when I put the car in gear. I took it to the mechanic and quoted me for $1900 to replace the CATS since he claims that he has to use the ones from the dealership which are $700 a pop. ProOnThaSnow are the CATS from a 1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8L?

Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 PM

they're from a 98.5 30V 2.8 litre, they should work for your car.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 AM
3rd Gear

I just had 2 new cats welded on and a custom cat back. I used OEM magnaflow cats that were $48 each. I DO have a CEL but it might be a wiring issue (and its only the driver's O2 throwing the code.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:44 PM

Thanks ProOnThaSnow, I would really appreciate you selling me your cats. I almost bought the Magnaflow cats for my car but I was told that if my car used California emissions then they might not work. Do you guys know where I can find out if my car uses California emissions?

Has anyone gotten a CEL after changing the CATS, my car does not have any CEL, all it does is make the noise and I am concerned that it will get worse and cause back fire and then kill my engine.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: A4_Quattro

Thanks ProOnThaSnow, I would really appreciate you selling me your cats. I almost bought the Magnaflow cats for my car but I was told that if my car used California emissions then they might not work. Do you guys know where I can find out if my car uses California emissions?

Has anyone gotten a CEL after changing the CATS, my car does not have any CEL, all it does is make the noise and I am concerned that it will get worse and cause back fire and then kill my engine.

Thanks for all your help.
If your car was not originally a Californian then it's 49 state legal. Technically any OBD2 certified cat converter will work.

I DO have a CEL but it's only 1 O2 sensor and I think the exhaust shop might've twisted a wire.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 PM

I have a 2001 A4 2.8 and have been getting the same fault code for some time:

17530 Oxygen (Lamda) Sensor Heating: B2 S2 : Open Circuit P1122 - 35-00

I live in NJ so I have emmissions issues. Car has 94k on it and didn't discover until 84k, so dealer wouldn't do anything for me since I own the car. Dealer wants to replace for $1900 and I tried to get it through inspection after I reset the CEL but Iwas told by a Mercedes mechanic who happened to be talking to me at the DMV Inspection Station thatyou need to drive 100 miles beforethe Diagnosticsmachinewill register a level on the DMV machine so needless to say they Failed me. My inspection is up again in 13 days and I pretty much need to get it back there this weekend. Does anyone know what I can do to get past inspection so I can figure out what to do, I've been debating on trading it in on a new one but this creates a problem if it fails inspection again? Code will stay off for months in summer/fall but now that it's cold out, it seems to last about 50 miles at best before it trips again.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kenny