B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ignition spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 08:05 PM
1st Gear
Default ignition spark plugs

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=black size=4>i have a 99 a4 one point eight Turbo. trying to do some home work on it and decided to work on the spark plugs. while unplugging the electrical connector, i noticed that all the necessary tools were not all there. so had to go out and purchase them. went ahead and reconnected the electrical wire. started the car and would not start. any one have any idea? nothing else was touched in the process. would hate to take it in to find out a simple procedure was needed. maybe a tool is needed not for sure.</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Courier New" size=4></FONT></P>

<FONT face="Courier New" size=4>thanks</FONT></P>

Old 11-16-2003, 09:13 PM
3rd Gear

I cant see where that alone would make the car not run try disconecting the wire conectors and inspect them make sure theres nothing in the conectors then reconect them firmly and put the clip back on then try it again....I dunno</P>

</P>

Old 11-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Site Moderator

I assume the electrical connectors you are talking about are the coilpacks. You should have 4 of them that are placed over the spark plugs and then bolted down to the engine head.

Like Slim said, make sure these are securely placed and that you never got anything down into the spark plug area (dirt, etc). Other than that you should not have been able to cause any problems unless you cracked one of your wires or something.

Stupid question but, you never disconnected the battery did you?

Old 11-18-2003, 08:17 AM
1st Gear

i called around a few places and even looked up a few places and all said that it was not really necessary to dissconnect. i even asked if there would be any electrical problems but the only reason to dissconnect would be for extra caution in burning your finger.</P>

maybe that is the reason why the engine would not turnover. had it serviced and the tech refused to let me know the actually problem. the whole service ended up costing 35 dollars and still under warranty for 30 days if the work is unsatisfatory. so in the mean time i will disconnect the elctrical connector again and see what happens.</P>

Old 11-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Site Moderator

what did it say on the invoice? They have to tell you what they did. If they refuse ask to speak the service manager and ask what you were charged for.

For 35 bucks he probably didn't do anything but look at it. Sounds shadey to me. Was this at an Audi dealer?

Old 11-18-2003, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

no firestone, a local auto shop. the charge was for a diagnostic test and after repeated inquires as to the problem he basically said that the fuel line was clogged up and to disarm that, you need to hold down the gas pedal down so the computer will know to shut that part down or other. the funny thing is that it was the service manager that told me. guess no big deal but that is why i am consistly on this forum now.</P>

will probably get overloaded with questions by me. but please be patience in the entry level questions about Audis.</P>

Old 11-18-2003, 07:39 PM
Site Moderator

I dont thik they had any idea what was wrong with your car. In your original post you say "while unplugging the electrical connector, i noticed that all the necessary tools were not all there."

Do you mean that there were parts from the car missing? or that you did not have the correct tools to do the job and had to go buy them?

What happens when you try to start the car? Does it attempt to crank over but just not make it? Does it make a clicking sound? Do you get no response at all when you try to start the car?

Old 11-19-2003, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

oh man i called up the guy they said the battery connector was loose....man dont i feel stupid. thanks for your concern brrman. will have to look for you in the future

Old 11-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Site Moderator

Hah hah - always good to find out its something dumb like that, man... You might not save face, but it saves you money!

Old 02-04-2004, 03:36 AM
1st Gear

what kind of spark plugs do y ou use?

Quick Reply: ignition spark plugs