B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

I'm sorry for butting in on my husband's account

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:34 PM
1st Gear
Default I'm sorry for butting in on my husband's account

But I am so upset. We bought a 2001 Audi Avant Quattro with the 1.8T with 161,xxx miles on it a little over a month ago. We have learned a ton from this forum and have done a bunch of maintenance on this car. We paid $3000 for it and put in hundreds more in new spark plugs, coil packs, O2 and oil sensor, 2 oil changes and oil filters as well as a ton of other stuff. We knew the timing belt was going to need to be done and we were pretty sure the cam tensioner was bad. Today, we took the car to an import mechanic shop, who insisted we get an oil pressure test done first and foremost. In the end, they couldn't do it, because they said the fittings were unlike any they had ever seen. They did everything they could to convince my husband to get rid of the car because the amount of money to do the timing belt and cam tensioner, as well as what they insist must be done - oil pickup tube and transmission fluid (not sure if that is a flush or change or what) would be so many thousand dollars that we should just forget it. They put the fear in my husband about the cost of a new engine and transmission and all kinds of other things they say are on the verge of going out. Believe me, I don't know much about cars, but this is a nice car - drives nice, looks nice, etc. I just don't know why they are so worried about it. The did everything to talk my husband out of putting any money in this car. They kept saying about how many miles this car has and how it will be a money pit from here on out. I don't get it. Here is where I am so upset: How in the world are we gonna get out of this car what we have in it? We had to save for months to buy a car outright, any car, but we found this one and fell in love with it. I'm not asking for advice on how to change my husband's mind. I really don't know why I am writing all this, other than you are a bunch of really knowledgeable guys and I trust your insight.

Julie

Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

did you take it to the dealership?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator

I'm pretty sure someone will buy it for the amount of money you've spent on it.

It's kind of funny how the shop is telling your husband all those horror stories. Yes, these are European cars which can be a bit of a hassle to work on but honestly, as long as you keep up with the basic maintenance and don't drive it like a maniac, the car will last you a decent amount of miles. I've known several GTI guys (with the same 1.8T engine) who are at 250K+ right now and it's still running strong.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

No, sorry, just an import mechanic's shop. You know the kind of local mechanic that specializes in imports? The dealership that is 2 1/2 hours away and charges 100% - 200% more, at least.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

kriptonik, I appreciate your reply. I don't know, though, if we could find someone in central Kansas to buy it for that.

We have spent hours and hours reading these forums to learn all we can about the car and there are many posts of people having 1.8T's with gobs of miles. I don't know what to think or do, for that matter.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik
I'm pretty sure someone will buy it for the amount of money you've spent on it.
This ^^^ is very likely. You basically have 3 options:

#1 - Sell car as is and hope to get around what you paid
#2 - Part out the car (especially if you have the room) and you can very likely make your money back that way. Or
#3 - Fix what is wrong with the car.

Like Krip stated above, so long as proper maintenance is done, the car will treat you well. From the what you stated the mechanic indicated to you and your husband, it sounds like sludge (or some other factor) is killing the engine (that part about the oil pick up tube).

Labor for these cars CAN put owners in the poor house. That is why many of us have chosen to do the work ourselves to save a few coins.......your situation may prevent this however. I would suggest you "shop" around for a worthy mechanic, and not just any "import" shop, look for a european shop.

Another bit of troubling info was you stated the mechanic informed you he could not do a pressure test because the "fittings were unlike any they had ever seen".....this tells me they should not be ANYWHERE near that car. Any Audi/VW shop should be able to do the work needed.

I hope you and your husband are able to solve the issues that are plaguing your car. Keep us posted on what you decide, or what you do next.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

We talked to this mechanic on the phone for quite some time before taking it in to be looked at. He just kept insisting that we do an oil pressure test before anything. All we wanted was an estimate for the timing belt and cam tensioner. They did verify the noise is coming from the tensioner. I got the impression that they see a lot of cars that have sludge problems or they are afraid of these 1.8t's and their sludge issues. I don't know which. Maybe they are trying to cover their butts. This shop was an hour and a half from here. We couldn't find any local mechanic that even somewhat seemed to know anything about Audi's and most said they would do the timing belt, but all said with complete determination that they would not touch the cam tensioner.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Kind of a rough situation. Honestly, I would never own an Audi if I didn't do the work myself. The parts aren't too bad price-wise, it's the labor that kills your wallet. Naturally when a vehicle's cost of repairs near the cost of the vehicle to buy, those vehicles end up in the crusher. The people with enough cash to throw into repairs also have enough to put a sizeable down-payment on a new vehicle.

I've done a cam chain tensioner on my 2.8 30v A4, which is harder to get to than the 1.8t engine as is more expensive. It wasn't bad, but it took me a Saturday. If there are no competent mechanics in the area, that's a major problem. I would never take my car to a garage that doesn't do German cars. An import garage that deals in Asian cars won't know what to do as Japanese cars are easier to work on that American cars, let alone German cars that can be the most difficult (in my opinion).

As an example my car has 105,000 miles now and in the 5 years I've owned it I've replaced:
Timing belt/waterpump/thermostat/idlers/tensioners etc = 400.00
Valve Cover Gaskets = 80.00
Coolant Temp Sensor x 2 = 60.00
Brake rotors and pads all round = 400.00
Front control arms (all 8) and inner outer tie rods = 320.00
Replaced shocks and springs with S4 = 350.00 (incl shipping)
Spark plugs = 50.00
PCV system replacement = 100.00 (superior hoses and catch can), still cheaper than oem
Clutch/throw-out bearing = 375.00
Ignition Switch = 30.00
Brake lines = 60.00
Cam chain tensioner = 400.00

That's about $2600.00 for stuff I can remember off the top of my head, and a car that was mint when I brought it up from California. This is just typical "maintenance" for an Audi A4. Keep in mind I didn't pay full price for anything, not a single item bought from the dealer and without labor. Triple that cost easy if you pay a competent independent shop!

And I put fun stuff in the car too! These cars absolutely need synthetic oil, good filters and even coolant is 25.00 for a jug. These cars are inexpensive to get into now, but they are still as expensive to maintain!

Honestly if there's no mechanic and you guys don't do your own work, you don't have much choice. I'd sell it. When you buy used, you need to have extra cash saved for maintenance... and I would definitely get a car inspected before buying so you know what you're getting into.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

I'd say get a second opinion. This "import shop" doesn't sound like they know too much about these kinds of cars. As already mentioned I would suggest you and your husband pick up a Bentley manual and learn to DIY it will save you A LOT of money. If not post it up on your local classifieds and see what offers you get. Then if you sell it look for another cleaner Avant and have it inspected by a "Qualified" mechanic/shop. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Administrator

I want to call BS on the import shop. I honestly don't think they know what they're talking about.

Yes, oil sludge is a common problem but this is why we do routine 3000 miles synthetic oil changes. Like I mentioned, baby the car and it will treat you right.

Does your husband have any mechanical experience and proper tools to do work on a car? If so, he shouldn't be too scared. With the amount of online DIY and people on the forums, I'm sure we can help you guys troubleshoot your problems away.

Quick Reply: I'm sorry for butting in on my husband's account