B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ST Problem (pictures inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Default ST Problem (pictures inside)

Well ST sent me a new spring seat to compensate for this nonsense

(broken knotches)

Only problem is the seats not just gonna slide over the huge **** like things at the ends of the shock. What's a guy to do?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Administrator

I would email ST back and be like "wtf do you expect me to do with this?" There stuff broke, its on them to FIX it, not send you parts and let you figure out how to kludge it up yourself.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
I would email ST back and be like "wtf do you expect me to do with this?" There stuff broke, its on them to FIX it, not send you parts and let you figure out how to kludge it up yourself.
^^^^^This.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:59 AM
3rd Gear

More importantly, what happens if/when you attempt to fix their faulty parts and it gets fu@ked up? Will they honor a warranty even if you attempted to fix it?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

i am very interested to see how this turns out considering i am trying to start a group buy on vortex to get these coilovers. and TBH ive been hearing a lot of problems with them since everyone has been buying them. this issue however is different than the other issues i usually hear from others, which worries me.

pretty sure there is a 2 or 5 year warranty on them, can't they just replace that corner or better yet send it back to them so they can scratch their heads and find a solution.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

Alright guys, I got it done yesterday and I'm gonna break it down for you real simple like. George from KW need to work on his customer service skills. He was treating me like an idiot and their warranty is a joke. Atleast for the ST's. The top piece that's directly connected to the shock spins off and is locktite'd on. All I did was put the the strut in some vice grips with a towel over it and heated the piece that came off up. Then I put a screw driver threw the bolt hole to get some leverage going and it spun right off.
Dallas of KW, good guy.
I'm still not happy with the situation at all but it's whatever, they're on the car and that's that. I find it stupid that they'll send me a part and once I take apart the assembly I'm sure I voided the warranty.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM
3rd Gear

Complete fail. I am sorry you have to deal with this. If this is a common problem they need to sort that out. It's also unfortunate that this being a coilover, you cannot just simply pull it out of the vehicle in 5 minutes and do a fix. Components like this should have a minimum of quality so a debacle like this can be avoided. IF I ever go lower, I know to stay away these.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

And the problem was, the screw that you tighten on the spring perch to keep it in place pushed some of the plastic stuff through and seized up the threads. Seems unlikely but I cut into it and saw it myself. I had to dig it out with a flat head.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 PM
3rd Gear

That's my only complaint about these coilovers, the plastic perch. I have broken notches too, but I use a big channel lock to spin the front coils because I find it a lot easier. I'm not sure why it was so hard to figure out you need to go from the top to get that perch on, but good job fixing it.

Obnoxious, funny you say you'll stay away from these. Right now they're probably the most popular coilover for price/ride quality. I'd buy these again in a second, even if I knew the notches would break again. They're just that good.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Administrator

I'm curious to see if the little surgery you performed would void the warranty. I should think not, nor do I recommend you ask them, just curious.

Quick Reply: ST Problem (pictures inside)