B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

inside a Mobil 1 Oil Filter after 6 months + Seafoam (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

what is the cause of sludge / varnish deposits in the engine?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM
1st Gear

old oil

Old 06-08-2011, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

OP, stop being so stubborn and get with te program before your car blows up on you, you cheap bastard.

Love, Mike

Old 06-08-2011, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiA4blue
what is the cause of sludge / varnish deposits in the engine?
people like this guy

Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Administrator

@AudiA4blue, the sludge issues common to the 1.8T can be attributed to a number of things:

-For starters, this motor came from the factory with a very small filter. Additionally, the recommended oil change interval from the factory was entirely too long, something like 10k miles IIRC. They later updated to a much larger filter, added more oil, and shortened the recommended service interval.
-To add to that problem, the screen on the oil pickup is very fine, and tends to get clogged easily. That in and of itself can lead to oil starvation in the head, but when the screen gets really clogged, the vacuum created by the oil pump sucking against the clogged screen can actually collapse the tube on the pickup. As you might guess, that would cause some serious oil starvation issues. That's why the "sludge repair kit" from ECS tuning includes a new "updated" oil pickup. (And why its in a sticky at the top of the B5 forum)
-Adding negligent owners to those mechanical issues is usually the culprit when you hear about people frying piston rings, bearings, etc, etc.

At the risk of getting flamed, I also use Mobil 1 0w-40, but I use the big *** extended performance filter and change it every 3k miles and before long trips. As long as you're nice to your 1.8T, it will be nice back.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

deleted

Last edited by foxracing4500; 01-13-2024 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by foxracing4500
in those 6 months I only put 3200 miles on the engine, 400 miles a month. but your right only the best for the 1.8t. Also no more Mobil 1, Amsoil only

edit, what I was trying to get at with the miles, the sludge buildup seems alot for little over 3k? I like how I am getting flamed for the 6 month wait but I hardly drive the Audi in nice weather. also note that I do let my turbo cool down before shutting her off, idk, unless seafoam was tearing alot of **** up from the previous owner
Specifying mileage would also be good. However, oil still breaks down if it just sits.

Amsoil is crap, if you really want to baby your car, throw Royal Purple at it. Otherwise most any synthetic will handle the heat issues from a turbo car just fine.....So long as you change the oil in a timely manner. Every major conventional oil is over spec in terms of manufacturer recommendations. Synthetic is just the same. Getting into exotic fluids for a regular car is a placebo more than anything.

In my experience, that's a good chunk of crap from the filter... but for an old tired turbo motor, it could be worse.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Papa_Dios
people like this guy
haha thanks for the laugh. btw have you tried using powerup / powermax oil additive yet?

I have and stand by it from practical use which even with oil dispersion tests and visual inspection of the oil I know the useful life of the oil in my experience is greater than not using powerup at all when compared to previous years of oil and filter changes. btw I have personally found the Total Rubia 7400 in my Audi is perfectly fine for the temperature of the climate. The previous oil did 9k no problem, now theres a quality oil with a proven additive I am confident of not having to do another change for another 10 to 15000km
Have a pleasant day

Last edited by AudiA4blue; 06-09-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
@AudiA4blue, the sludge issues common to the 1.8T can be attributed to a number of things:

-For starters, this motor came from the factory with a very small filter. Additionally, the recommended oil change interval from the factory was entirely too long, something like 10k miles IIRC. They later updated to a much larger filter, added more oil, and shortened the recommended service interval.
-To add to that problem, the screen on the oil pickup is very fine, and tends to get clogged easily. That in and of itself can lead to oil starvation in the head, but when the screen gets really clogged, the vacuum created by the oil pump sucking against the clogged screen can actually collapse the tube on the pickup. As you might guess, that would cause some serious oil starvation issues. That's why the "sludge repair kit" from ECS tuning includes a new "updated" oil pickup. (And why its in a sticky at the top of the B5 forum)
-Adding negligent owners to those mechanical issues is usually the culprit when you hear about people frying piston rings, bearings, etc, etc.

At the risk of getting flamed, I also use Mobil 1 0w-40, but I use the big *** extended performance filter and change it every 3k miles and before long trips. As long as you're nice to your 1.8T, it will be nice back.
Thankyou for a straighforward and clear post, much appreciated.