B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Loosing Lots of Power Steering Fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Loosing Lots of Power Steering Fluid??

So when i bought my 97 a4 2.8 12v... the previous owner said he brought the car to the audi dealer to have the power steering pump replaced... proof is in the receipts and everything... but now its loosing power steering fluid and im not sure where its coming from... i still havent gotten a chance to jack the car up and inspect the bottom but just wanted to ask you guys to see if you guys have any ideas?? im not sure if this is a common problem but i thought i'd give it a shot...

any help would be appreciated... thanks

Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Chech the lines under the reservoir for signs of a leak. Also, look inside the inner tie rod boots. If there's fluid leaking out of there, the rack seals are shot and you'll need a new rack.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Rack??

Originally Posted by FishEye
So when i bought my 97 a4 2.8 12v... the previous owner said he brought the car to the audi dealer to have the power steering pump replaced... proof is in the receipts and everything... but now its loosing power steering fluid and im not sure where its coming from... i still havent gotten a chance to jack the car up and inspect the bottom but just wanted to ask you guys to see if you guys have any ideas?? im not sure if this is a common problem but i thought i'd give it a shot...

any help would be appreciated... thanks

I've been battling steering issues in my 96 since I bought it. Check the boots on the end of the rack. The steering rack seals are prone to leakage and cannot be replaced. If this is the case you are looking at replacing the rack. There are some very good DIY's out there on replacement but from what I've heard it can be a real pita. The problem I've had with my car is all the ps lines. The pressure line that comes off the pump is known to separate where it transitions from steel to rubber hose. Also the line from the reservoir to the pump goes from rubber to steel and back to rubber again and Audi decided to use these crappy one time use clamps on them that leak like a sieve, causing the ps pump to suck in air and make horrific Beluga whale type noises...

Hope this helps and good luck, and remember to use the correct Audi ps fluid to top it off.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

thanks guys... but i checked the boot of the rack on both sides and doesnt seem to be any leaks... the area around the reservoir is really oily though but i can really trace where its coming from... the ps pump looks brand new so maybe its the reservoir.. and i use pentosin chf 11s

Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

I had this issue and it was the return line to the reservoir leaking. The cause was a clogged filter in the reservoir. There's a DIY on here somewhere for flushing the ps fluid and cleaning the filter element with carb cleaner.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

huh... i never thought of that... i noticed the little filter in the reservoir but never thought of cleaning it... i'll try and tighten my ps lines and clean out the filter... thanks

Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Here's the DIY. It's for an A6, but the procedure is nearly the same (you dont have to remove the headlight on an A4 B5): http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...luid-flush-DIY

Old 04-01-2012, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

my rack is leaking pretty badly.. every few days filling it. also, the suction hose, from the reservoir to the pump where it goes from rubber to metal, was leaking too. so i replaced the line with some 5/8th hose from a parts store and that seemed to slow the leaking down. the rack is still shot, can't do anything about that besides replacing it. you may be leaking into the boot, but the boot is leaking behind so you can't see it. you have to really get up in there and inspect the boot. maybe poke a hole in it, see if fluid comes out.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ou2mame
my rack is leaking pretty badly.. every few days filling it. also, the suction hose, from the reservoir to the pump where it goes from rubber to metal, was leaking too. so i replaced the line with some 5/8th hose from a parts store and that seemed to slow the leaking down. the rack is still shot, can't do anything about that besides replacing it. you may be leaking into the boot, but the boot is leaking behind so you can't see it. you have to really get up in there and inspect the boot. maybe poke a hole in it, see if fluid comes out.
yea same here i have to fill it up at least once a week... i see some leakage around the reservoir area but like u said i think i really have to inspect the rack again...

Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

Okay so i checked it out at a shop the car was on a lift and everything and its leaking fluid for sure... from where? its leaking like crazy from the passenger side rack -_____-

so now i know where its leaking from... how do i replace the rack? seems impossible ! :'(

Quick Reply: Loosing Lots of Power Steering Fluid??