B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Motor Mount Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Motor Mount Install

I have 1997 A4 FWD 2.8L V6 12v. It appears that if I remove the bracket which the bottom of the motor mount bolts to that this would make removal easier. If so, is there anything important I need to consider. Also can I re-use the nuts to the motor mount and the sway bar.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-29-2016, 03:41 PM
2nd Gear

Since that aids in holding your engine up. Support underneath the oil pan with a (few) jack stands. Make sure the dissipate the load with a 2x4 or something. Then you can just remove the bracket and go to work.
Getting the top nut is a PITA. You'll need a shorty wrench + small hands. It'll take a while so just be prepared to go slow.
I've reused the nuts but best practice is probably to replace them.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response. Where is the best place to jack the car up to get some jackstands under the oil pan. New to this and dont want to mess anything up.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:11 PM
2nd Gear

jack up the car behind the front wheels and place the jack stands there

then put a 2x4 across two stands and underneath the oil pan. SLOWLY lower the car so it rests on both the stands behind the front wheels as well as the 2x4 underneath the oil pan. as the car lowers the engine will raise a BIT from oil pan stands. Don't push it up more than a few cm's, you don't want to crush/break anything.

Here's a good video: just PLEASE hold the car up with jackstands and not wood...

Old 09-14-2016, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

The video was great.. I also read this: AudiWorld Tech Articles

Couple questions.. When I went out to get started I went to mark the nut and the "little nub" as detailed in #6 of the write-up. The question is I did not have a "little nub". I don't know if the person who did the mounts before ignored this or it is crushed onto the bracket. Also the new mounts I have are metallic on the bottom but when I poked through the holes of the bracket the mounts that are currently installed are rubber on the bottom. Any ideas on this, as every mount I have seen is metallic on the bottom.

Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear

man I don't remember that all... Maybe it's a 1.8 thing (I have a 2.8)? I just put the new mounts in ***** nilly and everything seemed to work fine.
As far as the metal vs rubber: I wouldn't worry about it. One is probably higher quality than the other but I'm not sure which.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

Thanks - will update and let you know how it went when finished.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

Well finished the install. Here is a pic of the old mounts. Obvious why I felt rubber. Have you ever seen this type of damage before (with or without leaking) and what would cause this. Seems odd to me, but I am new to this. Hope the new ones do better (using OEM supplier as this is a daily driver).

By the way any idea what the torque specs are for the 18mm bolts going through the bracket are.

Attached Thumbnails Motor Mount Install-old-mounts.jpg  
Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear

Yikes that's pretty bad. I've never seen then that bad but considering they're just mounts, it probably wasn't detrimental to your car, just REALLY time to replace them.
I have heard things about certain non-oem mounts going bad VERY soon (a few thousand miles) so hopefully yours last you plenty past that. Torque specs are like all non-critical torque specs: Firm and tight but not over-torqued.

in this case I think it's: (2) Sway bar bolts, 13mm 18 ft lbs
(1) Long bolt, 18mm 81 ft lbs + 90* turn
(2) Short bolts, 18mm 60 ft lbs

Old 09-20-2016, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the help to do this. It went well. And I used this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F512HN6...ing=UTF8&psc=1 I didn't own any stubby wrenches and since my hands didn't fit well at all near that driver's side top nut to use a stubby wrench, I tried this. It worked very well.

Now on to finish the rest.

Quick Reply: Motor Mount Install