B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

what the ??? (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 PM
3rd Gear
Default what the ??? (please help)

I just got back home from a taco bell run, and when I got out of my car I saw smoke pouring out of my hood. what the devil???

I opened her up and saw what looked like an explosion of liquid... I looked underneath the car where the oil filter was and saw that everything was splashed with a pink liquid. Power steering flid maybe? Why was it boiling on my oil pan? I'm kinda freaked out. I'm thinking a line or something split or cracked. Help please

2.8 30v, to those who are wondering

Old 02-19-2008, 10:31 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: what the ???

it's proly coolant buddy. check the level. you can buy this liquid to pour into the reservoir and then shine a light around and there will be like a different color taht shows up and you'll know where you're leaking

Old 02-19-2008, 10:35 PM
5th Gear

definitely coolant. a hose probly popped off and sprayed coolant everywhere

Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 PM

If your power steering fluid was gone you would've noticed it. I'm going to second the "calm down" approach. I know it's a little nerve-racking, but it's probably nothing serious. More than likely just coolant, as the above posts have indicated.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Site Moderator

Look right in front of the coolant resivoir, there is a little plastic T fitting that blows up all the time.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 PM

How do you repair this ailment, dearest auditech? (for future reference, assuming MY FRIEND'S will blow up)

Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
5th Gear

you have a different engine

Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 PM

What are you talking about Brian, read my post more carefully!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Leifer

How do you repair this ailment, dearest auditech? (for future reference, assuming MY FRIEND'S will blow up)
You can just buy another one, or do what i do and go to home depot or somewhere and get a brass T fittinginstead which won't break.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:18 AM
3rd Gear

You guys are right. Its the coolant. Should have noticed the big resevour of it right in front of my eyes

Now I just have to find the leak... I think it is lower down near the oil pan. I changed my oil last week and when I did so the filter was on SO tight that I had to go buy a filter wrench. even with the wrench, and a body builder... we couldnt get the damn thing off!!!

the wrench actually - get this - PUNCTURED the oil filter, making a mess of the street I was working on. I finally prayed a lot and the thing finally came off. The only thing that worried me was at one point my buddy was twisting so hard to get the thing off that the thing that the filter screws into started to turn. Does that part have any coolant lines running through it? I would guess thats my problem.

I took pictures just now and i'll post em

EDIT: the coolant level is way below the minumum level right now. I'm guessing its because my car splooged a bit. I just started it up and I heard a "chirp chirp" sound coming from the engine. I revved it up to about 2.5 k and it chirped again. I shut it off... and i kinda heard a hissing sound that was pretty intermittent. I tried to find where the sound was coming from but had no luck. It made the sound about once every 10 seconds. like ppppsshhhhssssss

if that helps