B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help - car won't start, replaced ignition switch, is it my starter ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help - car won't start, replaced ignition switch, is it my starter ?

So the other day driving home, I noticed the turn signals wouldn't come on. I drove home, turned off the car, and noticed the radio was still on even when the key was out. Tried to start the car, wouldn't start and noticed that the key lock positions are all busted.

Long story short, I figured it was the ignition switch that was broken. Ordered a new one, everything seems normal, but car still won't start. When I turn it to the crank position, the headlights/radio/ac would cut off (as expected), but no clicking, no dimming of interior lights or anything. I would think even if the starter is dead, I would still hear something or see the dome lights dim?

Could it be anything other than the starter? I can't think of anything else.

Also, is there a clutch sensor in these cars? I never had to push the clutch to start the car, but I've noticed that it starts even without doing so.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by supraken
I would think even if the starter is dead, I would still hear something or see the dome lights dim?

No. The reason the lights all dim when you start the car is because the load of the starter is taking all the voltage. This doesn't mean the starter is bad, it just means there is no voltage going through the starter.

Originally Posted by supraken
Also, is there a clutch sensor in these cars? I never had to push the clutch to start the car, but I've noticed that it starts even without doing so.

There is a clutch sensor. My A4 will not start unless you are pressing the clutch pedal. In fact the LCD tells me to press the clutch.

I think you need to work backwards. Find if there is voltage at the starter when someone tries to start it. If there is no voltage, find out why. The clutch switch would be a reason. Especially since you say you've never had to push the clutch.