B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need help wiring radio, 2000 A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default Need help wiring radio, 2000 A4

Hey everyone,

I recently got my hands on a 2000 A4 1.8T. I am trying to install my radio but I seem to be having some wiring problems... I didn't buy the wiring harness thing because I never have used them in the past.

I took out the stock radio and I was just starting to attach all my wires when I noticed that the stock radio only had wires for the Front Right and Front Left speakers...

My diagram looks something like this:

I thought that maybe the speakers were wired in parallel so I decided to just hook up the rear speakers to the corresponding front +/-, since thats all I had...

I started it all up and I'm only hearing sound from the front speakers, even after trying the fade.

How am I supposed to hook up the rear speakers to an aftermarket radio if there are only wires for the front speakers coming from the car?

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:46 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Hope this helps. just curious, what kinda radio you putting in?

Attached Thumbnails Need help wiring radio, 2000 A4-bose-radio.jpg   Need help wiring radio, 2000 A4-concert-radio.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear

I don't think I have either of those systems in my car...I know I don't have the BOSE because I have no amp or sub (stock) and I don't think I have the Concert system either... My stock radio was an Audi Symphony, the most basic version I think... Is that possible?

And the radio I'm putting in is an Alpine CDA-9883, just one from my old car, it will be there temporarily.

As you can see in the wiring diagram on my stock radio all I have is LF (Left front) and RF (right front)... I have no idea how to get those rear speakers working.

Any ideas?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
2nd Gear

After some searching I discovered that other people have been having the same problem. The solution would seem to be running new speaker wires from the rear to the front because the rear speakers in a non-bose system run off some sketchy passive set-up.

I had thought of doing this when they first weren't working and it looks like that is what I will have to do.

Has anybody else had to run speaker wires for their rear speakers in a non-bose system?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Administrator

You have speaker-level outputs for the front speakers, so you can directly connect them to a new head unit. There is an amp for the rears - look at the bottom of the driver side rear speaker in the trunk and compare it to the passenger side - that box hanging off the driver speaker is the amp. If you put in new speakers in the back, run new wires. If you keep them, get the Metra preamp harness. It'll give you direct connections for the fronts and preamp connections for the rear so the OEM rear amp can be used with the aftermarket deck.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah I took a look back there and I noticed that the driver side rear speaker had a small silver box attached to it, that is an amp!?

Is there any way to get into those wires without a wiring harness? There has to be a way, they must be connected in the front somewhere...

Looking at the OEM wiring diagram I am guessing that the Line-out section (RR, LR) is some sort of like 2v or 4v current that gets sent to the little amp attached to that speaker and then powers the 2 rear speakers, is that it?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

Ok yeah I just checked it out and it's exactly that. All I have to do is hook up the RR/LR wires to my HUs pre-amp outputs with RCA wires (little ghetto mod) and I'll have to find the remote turn on for that little amp and hook it to my HUs remote turn on and everything should work nicely back there.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:35 AM
2nd Gear

Does that make sense? Ghetto mod the line out wires into RCAs then hook them to my rear pre-amps on my HU and attach the remote wire to my HU remote wire... This should in theory power the rear speakers correct?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:59 AM
2nd Gear

Has anybody else done this to get the rear speakers working without a pre-amp wiring harness?

Old 09-22-2012, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem and I'm just wondering if you got your rear speakers and amp up and running like they should.

Quick Reply: Need help wiring radio, 2000 A4