B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New A4 owners check in

Old 11-28-2016, 05:12 AM
1st Gear

Hi Leigh here my car is 1999 A4 b5 1.8 20v avant with some factory fitted facelift parts

1 wanted avant for few years and very happy with it

2 owned it 2 weeks now

3 400 pounds sterling with seized rear caliper slider 1 hour fix

4 i was looking at either disco td5 or subaru legacy wagon but over the moon the a4 turned up instead
only thing i want to change on the car is the wheels and fit coil overs

Old 12-15-2016, 12:31 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T

Do you like your new Audi?
So far it's been fun to drive but has had its share of problems.

How long have you owned it?
About a month.

Why did you decide to buy one?
I have a friend who is a vw mechanic and he's been giving me grief about working on my non vw group cars. I figured it was time to throw him a bone when the work gets too involved for me to do on my own.

Was there another vehicle you were thinking about before you bought the Audi?
I was looking at other audis and vws, but was always leaning toward the audis for the Quattro.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Help

New to forums...not working on cars...

I just got this nice 1999 a4 quattro 1.8t...I love the car...it needs small thing (power steering pump, small interior pieces) but I have a misfire in 2 packs...I want to upgrade what company's make parts for these?

Also would like a new turbo...nothing fancy...just oem or something factor internal can handle...

Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 AM
1st Gear
Default A4 B5 2.4 auto

Love it, smoother/quieter than anything else I have driven and I get complements about it.

Had it about a week. Bought for NZ$1800. (US$1300). Its rareish to see them about and I like the Blue metallic paint job, comfortable inside.
Also, they have a 12 month Warrant Of Fitness (rather than the normal 6 monthly inspection)

I was not really interested in any other car when I went looking for this one, just found one at the right price and bought it.

It needs a little work, probably cambelt, thermostats stuck, CV just started to click. Maybe a misfire at idle. Nothing else needed.
Drives smooth, quiet, fast.
Indicators on the wrong side.... Same as my first car, a Cortina Mk4 and my old Alfa 33.

Last edited by marteA4; 01-12-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Hi everybody, I am found here https://dsrleasing.com/car-listings/ Lowest rate and I am very happy with it. They have excellent customer service and they can answer to every question of yours. You can simply check their website and ask anything you want about your favorite car.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

I picked up another A4 B5, a 1800 auto last week, 160,000kms, 1996, considered lowish mileage in NZ... For NZ$315 (US$250)
Not really as described in the add.. Flat battery was just the start...
I find out that once the battery is under 10 volts or such, it goes into 'limp mode', ie it gets up to 30~km/h, then drops to 15-20, then surges to 30~km/h repeatedly.
Then found they ignition switch was not returning to 'run' from 'start' & burnt out the starter motor, on the side of the road... (Wondered what that noise was.…)
$50 battery & $65 starter motor & 2 days in the car on the side of the road later and it was replaced using a 16mm ring spanner, $5 socket set & a keychains Allen (Hex) key.

Its got no reverse gear, the auto fluid is milkshake pink coloured and someone's fitted a dodgy trans fluid cooler in front of the radiator....
So I am expecting that...Something's leaked water into trans, turned fluid milky pink.

Somethings also ruined the Transmission Control Module, this is common it seems. Water seems to be the culprit, either in its plug or inside the unit ruining the contacts.
The gear indicator on the dash is dull so its hard to read it.
Its running at 3000rpm @ 100kmh, which seems high, so maybe its not going into top gear, which also seems to be a result of a faulty TCM.
I have read a writeup on YouTube where someone took the module apart (its riveted together) & found that inside there's just some standard cheapish spring metal strips with contacts on them, exactly what I have found in washing machines....
He cleaned them up and screwed it back together and that fixed it.
That's what I intend to do to.

First I will top up the trans some more, just in case, since its leaked a lot anyway, though I have driven 600kms+ @ 100km/h with it as is. If no improvement.
Steam clean underside of car...
Jack the car up, remove cross member and remove TCM & pull it apart, take pics & evaluate it, fix & replace, see if it drives ok first.
Then if so, drain fluids and replace with used but clean fluids, warm up and drain/replace with new fluids again.

Then sort out the clanky exhaust mount. Then get (NZ) ' Warrant Of Fitness' for car and replace the cambelt.
Aside from scratches its a nice car.
$$$ wise I did miss out on a better deal though.
If I'd known about the battery beforehand, I could have used one I already had, from then I could have figured out the dodgy key return spring myself and it would have not turned into the nightmare it did. Saving $200 odd.

Also. The keys. Look at its profile, there's a slit down each edge of the key.
The mechanics keys slit is smaller and its therefore 2.2mm thick at that point. Mines got a NAA stamped into the key.
The other key, which fits the glovebox, rear seats etc, is stamped HAA and the slits bigger leaving the key at 1.4mm thick there.
So.
Standard key = HAA = 1.4mm thick, fits ignition/trunk/rear seats.
Mechanic s key = NAA. = 2.2mm thick, fits only the ignition switch.

For a few $ a hobby engineer could mill machine the slots deeper to thin out the key and make it fit the rest of the car.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:02 PM
1st Gear
Default A new B5 A4 owner here

Just bought my first Audi yesterday. When in high school I fell in love with S4's. Well I don't have cash for an S4. So I settled.

What I got:
1999 B5 A4 1.8T Quattro. Black
5-speed manual
83,180 miles.
One owner.

$4990 purchase

Previous owner was **** about maintenance. I hope it continues to show it for many years.

Do you like your new Audi?
yes, but have had it for one day. Wish it had more horsepower.

How long have you owned it?
1 day

Why did you decide to buy one?
always wanted one. My brother had an A3. I rode in a new S4 in high school and liked them. Has AWD for snow. Under $5000 and is a manual transmission. And chose because of the maintenance records.

Was there another vehicle you were thinking about before you bought the Audi?
Initially started searching on Cars.com for a car under $7k. <100,000 miles and AWD/4WD. I found the one I bought.

I'm learning a lot about it. Like today I was concerned about 3000 RPM at 65 mph in 5th gear. But people on audiForums say it's normal. Cool!

Old 03-07-2017, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Hello. I love my Audi, I got it on a lease by https://dsrleasing.com/ and I am very satisfied. I choosed Audi because I was always fond of Audi cars and I always wanted one.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

Greetings. I was checking this deal https://dsrleasing.com/car-listings/...lease-1199-mo/ and I would really like your opinion on this!

Old 03-07-2017, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

I will tell you about mine too!
1. it is awesome
2. one year
3. I like the body style.
4. E30, E36 M3, Audi s4 B5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New A4 owners check in