B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New repair kit for sludge!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Site Moderator
Default New repair kit for sludge!!

I was recently just helping another member with a sludge repair kit and found that ECS is now selling two seperate complete kits that WILL cure the issue. The only real difference between the kits are the oil pan gasket material, gasket or goo. I recommend the goo, but its difficult to use.
Here is the link for the B5's, Top of the page.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...l/Lubrication/

Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Site Moderator

Not that I recommend it-I know an audi tech who accomplished basically the same thing by poking holes into the original pickup tube screen. Wait... Was that you??

Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Not that I recommend it-I know an audi tech who accomplished basically the same thing by poking holes into the original pickup tube screen. Wait... Was that you??
Wasn't me, and i wouldn't recommend it because the tube can actually collapse a little when plugged, so poking holes in the screen wouldn't completely fix it.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
1st Gear

well has anyone seen the revised pickup tube for the new 2.0 engines? i had to do one for an oil pressure issue. it has 2 pickup tubes on it. one with a screen and one with just a check ball in it. to prevent low oil pressure on cold start up's but if they made one for a 1.8....it would be beating around the issue but it would work for a while lol.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

my tech puts some tranny fluid in my oil (about 2 ounces) aprox 200 miles before an oil change. because tranny fluid is like 50% detergent so it breaks some of it down before you drain the oil, that seems to break alot of sludge loose cause mine is gettin bad

Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 AM
gcv
1st Gear

Frantz bypass oil filter.

Gets rid of my sludge. Change the element (special toilet paper roll) every 3000km.

I installed a sandwich plate that goes between the engine and the conventional spin on oil filter. From here I channel part of the oil into the Frantz can and the ruturn is routed up into the engine via a modified oil cap. Even though only part of the oil is filted at a time, eventually it all gets filtered as the engine works. Supposed to get rid of moisture too but I haven't been able to verify this. I have verified that it gets rid of the sludge!!

Conventional spin on filter and oil get changed regularly like normal.

cheers

gcv

Old 09-22-2011, 08:07 AM
1st Gear

Dumb question, I'm a noob.... How do you know of you have sludge for sure? I'm at 215k miles and I would assume I do, but do not know how to check...

Looking to clean the engine a bit before modding anything.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by viperpit07
my tech puts some tranny fluid in my oil (about 2 ounces) aprox 200 miles before an oil change. because tranny fluid is like 50% detergent so it breaks some of it down before you drain the oil, that seems to break alot of sludge loose cause mine is gettin bad

Tranny fluid? What kind do you use? I have a stock motor with 215K and want to make sure its 'clean' before i start modding it.thank you in advance.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CantA4rd
Tranny fluid? What kind do you use? I have a stock motor with 215K and want to make sure its 'clean' before i start modding it.thank you in advance.
regular cheapy automatic transmision fluid of just about any kind works good, not alot thought, about 1/4 - 1/2 quart rite in your oil. or you can dump seafoam in ur oil too that works. my sludge is bad enough i can see it from the oil fill hole. on the inside of the engine thick dark gritty crap. thats how i knew

Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 PM
gcv
1st Gear

Sludge ID:

Take off your oil cap and look at the underside in the light. You will probably see it there (I did). Also try wiping this area with a white cloth.

Also inspect the dip stick in the same way.

Both inspections towards the end of the oil change cycle (before you change it) will help.

Don't be overly concerned about it. If the car has had the regular oil changes with the approved oil for the engine you should be OK. A bad oil changing history could be an issue. These are quite robust engines, even with the sludge issue. It doesn't hurt to address the problem though.

If you're worried about the engine get your mechanic (or do it yourself) to do a compression check. If its OK, address the oil sludge in your own way and start modding.

cheers

gcv

Last edited by gcv; 09-27-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: New repair kit for sludge!!