B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

"New" Valve Cover Gasket Issues?

Old 07-20-2014, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Default "New" Valve Cover Gasket Issues?

So I've had my A4 for about a year now (that time goes by fast!!) and over the winter it seemed to have an issue where white smoke would come out the exhaust and the hood during short runs which I eventually put off as condensation burning off since I never lost any coolant (although an oil leak exists somewhere...) and it stopped happening after letting it warm up.

Now it seems this issue is back during the middle of summer. I haven't seen anything coming out the exhaust, but every now and then I will see smoke coming from the driver side of the hood, and when I get home I can see smoke coming from beneath the oil fill cap.

The previous owner/dealer I bought it from last July said he replaced the valve cover gaskets, however these symptoms seem to add up to either a leaking gasket or half-moon seal on the crankshaft. Does anybody have any ideas on the smoke and oil leak?

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Administrator

You need to pop the good and see exactly where it's coming out to pinpoint the possibilities. I'm assuming you have a 2.8 due to the side-specific reference to the smoke?

Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You need to pop the good and see exactly where it's coming out to pinpoint the possibilities. I'm assuming you have a 2.8 due to the side-specific reference to the smoke?
Yes, sorry. 1999.0 2.8l quattro tiptronic. It seems to be in and around the oil-filler cap although I will try to get a better look next time!

Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Could be a bad gasket around the oil cap opening or possibly the plug bore gasket is leaking - it gets pretty brittle.