B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

OEM 1.8T Clutch... what can it handle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb OEM 1.8T Clutch... what can it handle?

First off, some specs on my car:

1999.5 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t Avant 5 speed

Mika tuned GT 25 software
RS2 - green top injectors
K24 sport turbo
Race Products intercooler ( side mount )
ECS race N75 valve
new spark plugs
VR6 Mass Airflow housing with open air element
MTM cast exhaust manifold
URS4 external wastegate
Audi TT 225 hp by-pass valve
Custom fabricated 3" exhaust ( cat delete )
APR Snub mount

I bought the car with these mods. It's a great car. When I bought it it had a turbo leak, you could hear it, but it didn't sound bad. When I found it, it was a big leak. The silicon elbow down from the turbo going into that pipe under the radiator support had a big crack in it, most of the boost was leaking out there to the point I had never heard the wastegate make a noise until I fixed it.

Since I fixed it, the power increase is amazing, problem now is that under hard acceleration the clutch will slip bad.

So, since I don't know, I'm guessing it's a stock clutch. Now, with the mileage on the car (155K) if this is a stock clutch, it could just be worn out, or the clutch is fine, just not made to handle the power (250-300hp). So that's my question. Could a stock clutch in good condition handle this power?

This will be a determining factor in the purchase of a clutch. The clutch still holds fine under normal and some hard acceleration, but under full boost it lets go. I'm still driving the car.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear

its probably a combination of being worn out and not being able to handle that power. the stock clutch doesnt really even like a chipped 1.8t. and you cant launch on a stock clutch to save your life. just get a southbend stage 2 or 3 clutch and not have to worry about it for a long long time. you probably want a new flywheel if you have been slipping your clutch for this long.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
its probably a combination of being worn out and not being able to handle that power. the stock clutch doesnt really even like a chipped 1.8t. and you cant launch on a stock clutch to save your life. just get a southbend stage 2 or 3 clutch and not have to worry about it for a long long time. you probably want a new flywheel if you have been slipping your clutch for this long.
Thanks. The slipping has only been prevalent for a couple months, but even then, I don't put it into high boost because I don't want to smoke the clutch altogether.

How would this be different than any other vehicle as far as the flywheel is concerned, I normally just have them resurfaced.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear

theres a big debate wether or not you can resurface a dual mass flywheel. some people say its fine, some say you should never do it and always buy a new one, the mechanic i use says you should resurface it when you change the clutch, some people say you need to have it done at the audi dealership with the proper machine if you are going to resurface it. i really dont know the answer.

i would either buy a new dual mass flywheel, or get a light weight single mass billet steel FW.

if you get an aluminum wheel with a steel insert, you have 2 different metals that expand at different rates under heat which can cause cracking and seperation of the friction material.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

OK, well, I've just started shopping for South Bend clutches. Looks like I'll need a stage 2. 034 Motorsports has is for $395. I've never dealt with any Audi vendor, any advice or suggestions from anyone?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM
4th Gear

I would suggest going with a SB stage 3 or higher. We also offer modified SB clutch kits that has a clamping pressure then the standard SB kits and at no extra cost.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH
I would suggest going with a SB stage 3 or higher. We also offer modified SB clutch kits that has a clamping pressure then the standard SB kits and at no extra cost.
I don't doubt you, but what are you basing this off of? Most "Audi" guys who I talk to about my car don't understand the mods made to my car.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear

if your keeping your stock dual mass flywheel i have a stage 4 clutch kit im not using, ive been trying to sell just the disk so that i can buy a sprung disk that will work with a single mass FW but no one needs just the disk, i paid $585+shipping for it, il show you the invoice. if you want it for 570 shipped il take a few $ loss, its brand new never taken out of the box, if you buy it i can finally order the correct clutch and fw from mike ^^

what part of that dont you understand? a stage 3 would be pretty good and hold up well for your power levels. a stage 4 would handle anything you can throw at it and give you the piece of mind that you wont be having to drop the transmission again for many years.

Last edited by ghost6303; 11-06-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
if your keeping your stock dual mass flywheel i have a stage 4 clutch kit im not using, ive been trying to sell just the disk so that i can buy a sprung disk that will work with a single mass FW but no one needs just the disk, i paid $585+shipping for it, il show you the invoice. if you want it for 570 shipped il take a few $ loss, its brand new never taken out of the box, if you buy it i can finally order the correct clutch and fw from mike ^^

We'll talk, but I'll only have money once I sell my truck. Is your clutch a south bend?

I guess Mike is selling here:

http://shop.dthaus.com/product.sc?pr...&categoryId=49

Old 11-06-2008, 01:16 PM
3rd Gear

yep its that one, the OFE stage 4 one is what i have, its an unsprung hub for use with the stock flywheel. you can use an unsprung disk on a lightweight fw but you get alot more chatter which is what i dont really want.

Quick Reply: OEM 1.8T Clutch... what can it handle?