B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Oil leaking bad-think its from base where oil filter sits on

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil leaking bad-think its from base where oil filter sits on

I'm driving home last night, not too far from home and suddenly my oil light starts flashing and beeping. I pulled over right away, as it happens I was going past an oil change place, who's parking lot I pulled into. I just had my oil changed about a week ago and there was oil dripping out from under the motor. I figured maybe they didn't tighten down the filter or the drain plug or something. The car had hardly been driven since the oil change, as I was using my brother's truck for the last week to haul some stuff. Me and a couple of guys from the oil change place pushed the car inside and they went to work. After putting in new oil and filter and checking the plug, etc. I started up the car and oil began leaking again from near the filter. One of the guys there said he saw the same thing on a VW and they tightened down some nuts or something around the base that the filter sits on. They got the leak to go down to just a very occasional drip and I carefully drove home, which was about 2 or 3 miles away, planning on taking it to my usual mechanic on Monday. Today, I came out and looked at the car, no oil had leaked out overnight, so I drove it to the hardware store, which is less than 1/2 a mile away. I came back and parked it and came out an hour later or so and saw a big puddle of oil under the motor! Now it looks like I will have to have it towed to the mechanic to have it checked out, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

Old 11-28-2010, 01:22 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

not 100% sure, and my diagnostic skills seem to have gone to **** lately. BUT:

If I'm not mistaken your oil filter screws into the oil cooler assembly. There is a gasket that is supposed to be in the oil cooler and often times when you go to one of the quicky oil change places they don't know to check for it. When they put the new oil filter on, it can't seal properly to the oil cooler because of the missing gasket.

good luck. post back when you get it sorted

Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

Turned out it was the o-ring inside of the oil cooler. A $4 part but $125 in labor to replace!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

Good to know i had my oil changes about 5k ago but last night was cold and i started it up this morning. Let it run and i had oil about the same place i was hopping it was a seal and not a unit itself.