B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

P1347 Bank2,Crankshaft-/Camshaft os.Sens.Sign. Out of Sequence

Old 10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy P1347 Bank2,Crankshaft-/Camshaft os.Sens.Sign. Out of Sequence

Hi Room,

Just got another A4 recently this time a 2001 A4 2.8 V6. from a local auction.

The engine light is on and I took it to Auto Zone to get the trouble codes for repair.

Trouble codes:

P1347 Bank2,Crankshaft-/Camshaft os.Sens.Sign. Out of Sequence
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0304 Cyl.4 Misfire Detected
P0305 Cyl.5 Misfire Detected
P0306 Cyl.6 Misfire Detected

Took it to Pep boys last night for the master mechanic to take a look @ it and apparently when the timing belt was changed, it wasn't aligned propler.

I'm not hearing any pinging or knocking from the engine... Actually it's purring like a kitten and don't see any major performance loss (not that I'm pushing it). I do get a little bit of a misfire when pulling off.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a shop who specialize in Audi's and was wondering if anybody can offer me more detail or experience regarding these codes/issues.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Administrator

That sounds exactly right for the diagnosis. The passenger cam is aligned properly with respect to the crank but the driver cam is off. It'll have to be dismantled and reset correctly. Expect a pretty hefty bill for the work if you have it done.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 PM
1st Gear
Question

Thanks for the reply @ImTheDevil - So I got the call from Car Sense today and they orig. thought it was the belt and told me it would be 880.00 to fix it. After they took everything apart they called back and said it was the left timing chain tensioner and quoted me 1500.00 to have the work done. I have two questions.

1. They didn't say anything else was damage so would it be safe to say after they replace the tentioner and put everything back together I'm pretty much in the clear with having any other issues steming from this?

2. They quoted me like 700.00 for the part but I believe I found it for 225.00. They said they won't warranty the part but they'll use it to cut the cost. Is this the correct part and if not can you direct me to a place online I can get it for around the same price.

Amazon.com: #C069 99-05 Audi Timing Chain Tensioner Left 078109087C 078109087F A4 A6 S4 Allroad Quattro VW Volkswagen Passat 2.7L 2.8L V6 99 00 01 02 03 04 05: Automotive

Thanks again for your help, it's appreciated.

Last edited by hillst22; 10-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Looks like it to me. Here's the thing. Failed CCTs typically result in a diesel-like sound from the engine - not necessarily all that loud, but present nonetheless. Did you have that noise? Before you authorize the repair, ask how they came to that conclusion. It'd be easy enough to fix a belt that's off a tooth (especially since the car is apart already), put it back together, and say they changed that part. And if they're changing the CCT, they need to replace the valve cover gasket on that side too - was that mentioned as a part you'll need to pay for? Find out and let us know.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:02 AM
1st Gear

"Failed CCTs typically result in a diesel-like sound from the engine - not necessarily all that loud, but present nonetheless." There wasn't any diesel-like sound, that I detected prior to taking it in. The engine purred like a kitten, like I said earlier... the orig. diagnosie was belt was off a tooth, the guy called me back and said that later on after pulling everything apart the mechanic found out that it was the CCT and not the belt and yes he also mentioned the valve cover gasket and said that the cost of that was minimal.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Update: So after talking further to Chris from Car Sense, one of the "Timing Chain Tensioner Pads" had broken into two pieces and that's why I need a new CCT. Like I mentioned before, I found one on ebay and on Amazon both for around 230.00. I also called the company who's selling their CCT on Amazon and told them the issue and they told me that I could go the route of buying the Audi Timing Chain Tensioner Pads and replacing them for 30.00. I spoke to Chris and mentioned this affordable solution to him and his concern was why did the pads break and rather taking such a cheap short cut to do it the right way and replace the whole part.

My reasoning is.... If only the pads broke and I purchase another tensioner what's to say that the pads won't possible break on them in the future, is there a bigger issue at hand or are they just trying to milk more money out of me. If it's a replaceable part and they sell the pieces, it seems to me that this maybe a common issue due to normal wear and tear and they made the replaceable parts for that reason... Am I wrong in my logic?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Legal Moderator

i cant speak for v6 guys but i just bought an extra motor and the pads on the cct for my four cylinder were quite worn, but not broken. if they break i would assume an issue with chain tension, such as the chain being one link too tight. this could also explain your misfires as the car will still run with a link off but not all too well. i havent seen the pads for sale seperately but id assume they are since the ones for the 1.8 slip on and off very easily