B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Pain in the a** lower radiator hose. Any tips getting it on completely?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Angry Pain in the a** lower radiator hose. Any tips getting it on completely?

So a few months back I did my timing belt and everything went flawlessly... until I had to put the lower radiator hose back on. The upper one went on just fine, but the lower would not go completely no matter how hard I tried. After struggling for a while I eventually called it good and finished the rest. A month or so later I went to go visit some family and on the way there I was stopped at a traffic light the coolant warning came up on the dash and beeped at me. I immediately pulled into a parking lot and shut off the engine. I got out and checked in the engine compartment and sure enough coolant was sprayed all over the place and pouring out onto the concrete. I was able to get the hose on enough to stop the leaking, but I had lost most of it within minutes. So my question to all of you that have had to put that hose back on: How did you do it? It seems the brute force trick hasn't worked for me yet. Maybe I am just missing something or too ***** to put a freaking hose back on. Any input would be great because I don't really want to have to crawl under my car again on the side of the road reconnecting the hose and have to bleed the coolant system while looking like a complete noob. And yes I did have the retaining clip in the unlocked position doing the timing belt and on the side of the road and locked it after I had finished both times.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:04 PM

maybe using some vasoline on the inside of the hose would work? or perhaps using a lubricant that will evaporate quickly -- i know there are a few spay lubricants used for metal working that evaporate quickly. those might work to help you get the hose the whole way back on.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:09 PM
4th Gear

+1 to using some type of lube or spray. I actually use a small amount of WD40 and it works great... just try NOT to spray it into the radiator or hose. Just on the outside of the radiator neck.

josh

Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Tech Slut

you sure you have it goin the right way? I cant remember on ours, but on alot of cars, one end is tapered out a lil more

Old 03-22-2009, 12:35 AM
3rd Gear

NO LUBE!!!

WD40, silicon, and lithium grease can swell the gasket and render it useless under pressure.

Wet the o-ring with coolant, it's the best lubricant for coolant system seals (or Audi specified lube, but it's expensive and "dealer only."). Pull the metal clip out and "load" it up, just a bit. Push, hard, you won't break it.

If it won't go on, you might need a new clip and o-ring. You could also try cleaning up the plastic locating tabs on the radiator and the receiving notches in the hose with a file.

If it still wont clip in, consider an new radiator hose or radiator as necessary.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 AM
4th Gear

Ive never heard of that causing problems. Ive done that on all my cars and have never once had a problem with it.

josh

Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by ThePaintballGuy
Ive never heard of that causing problems. Ive done that on all my cars and have never once had a problem with it.

josh
yea thats why im thinkin he might have it on backwards... i just dont remember if its even possible to do so... its too dark, cold, and late for me to go look... and my car is way too low lol.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
you sure you have it goin the right way? I cant remember on ours, but on alot of cars, one end is tapered out a lil more
Yeah I am sure it is going on the right way because there is a groove and key that lines up to make sure it goes on the right way. Once I get some spare time on my hands I am going to double check everything and try lubing it up just with the coolant and see if it will go on easier. If that doesn't work I will do some research and see if there is a lube that won't corrode the plastic or o-ring. I just want to make sure I get it on right before I drive to Vegas next week. Its no fun to be stranded out in the middle of the desert in need of some distilled water and G-12 all while missing out on a day in Vegas. Its also no fun being stranded in the middle of the California desert in need of a serpentine belt for a BMW 318ti, but that's another story...

Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Guru

if all he did was disconnect it from the lower rad neck, then there is no right or wrong way

and when i was putting mine back on, i thought it would never go back on, but you just have to open a can on it and keep pushing/pulling....... it will go on

Old 03-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
if all he did was disconnect it from the lower rad neck, then there is no right or wrong way
word.

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
and when i was putting mine back on, i thought it would never go back on, but you just have to open a can on it and keep pushing/pulling....... it will go on
sounds like he needs to borrow some muscles then... ive never had a problem with it.
When you get the first part of it on, with a lil g12 applied on the neck and inside of hose, squeeze the hose just before where its on, and push like a man... If you cant still get it, ask a stronger friend... lol

Quick Reply: Pain in the a** lower radiator hose. Any tips getting it on completely?