B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Power Steering Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Power Steering Nightmare

So from the beginning, (this is a lil long) 1996 A4 2.8. Starts leaking fluid, a little at first then so much that the reservoir was empty by the end of the day. Found the leak, was in the pressure line right off the pump, where the hose attaches to the line. Got a new pump since this one was whining, figured replace the pump and the hoses and lines. Stopped refilling reservoir due to major leak, the system ran dry for a week before we replaced everything. On the day we replaced everything, we still got no steering, no fluid was circulating back into the reservoir.
I had remembered that even when the old pump and leaky hose were in there, I could open the cap to the reservoir and see that there was fluid movement.
So replaced everything, no steering, no circulation, bled it out, still nothing. Fluid started leaking out of the pulley shaft the next day. Kept the reservoir full, the fluid started leaking bad from the shaft, finally the shaft blows out of the pump, wrecks the plastic shields and makes a mess. Burns a hole in the timing belt housing, fluid everywhere, so now I'm nervous that the timing belt will be the next nightmare.
So anyway, put new pump in, this is the 2nd pump, bleed the system and still no steering. So take it to the shop, the bleed the lines again, blow them all out to make sure there are no clogs and reconnect everything. Still no steering.
So now we are down to assuming that it must be the steering rack. So my questions are.... Would the rack crap out from driving it for that week with no fluid? Would the rack cause the fluid to not circulate? If not then could it be something else?
I'm buying the rack and having it installed, but I still would love some more educated even expert advice.
Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Site Moderator

My only guess is that the lines on the rack were clogged causing lack of operation and too much back pressure into the pump, resulting in your massive leak, etc.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 10-05-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

There is no longer any leak, but there is also no steering, and no circulation. If the rack is bad would I still see circulation? Also if the rack is bad and there is no circulation, will I burn out the pump if it continues to not circulate? I need to wait to get the rack in, but I need to drive it in the meantime. Could it be a bad clog in the line still? We are kind of at a stand still and replacing parts just because it seems like we have no other ideas as to what to do. Thanks!!

Old 10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Site Moderator

It's gotta be clogged. The only things that can really go wrong with a rack is a leak or if a line gets clogged (which is sort of unheard of.) You checked the power steering cooler lines in front of the ac condensor right? If fluid isn't circulating I would be hesitant to drive around much. If the fluid just pools inside the pump that can't be good for it.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:07 PM
5th Gear

dont drive it with no circulation. thats how the first pump blew. i did the same thing not too long back.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

ok, so disconnected the line from the rack to the cooler line an connected it straight to the reservoir. Still no circulation or steering. I'm at a loss, so in the rare instance it was the rack, would it keep the fluid from running through the system? I took it to the shop the other day and they said the pump wasn't running. I am stumped and annoyed, it's goin to the shop tomorrow, but anymore input would be great. Thanks!