B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Power steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Power steering problems

I've only put ~1500 miles on my car since I bought it and it seems as soon as I get one problem fixed something else breaks.

When I replaced my front brakes a few weeks ago I noticed when I jacked it up power steering fluid was dripping from around the drivers side tie rod, out of the rack. I thought it was just a slow leak that had collected in the boot (which is torn) and then came out when I jacked the car up but I think I may have damaged the seal, or made it worse. I drove the car a little bit but it was leaking fluid so fast I had to dump more in every time I stopped, and it was starting to whine/groan every time I turned the wheel, so I parked it.

I'm guessing the dumbass previous owner used petroleum based power steering fluid instead of mineral hydraulic fluid, but either way my rack is toast. I'm going to order this kit:

http://www.pskits.com/catalog/rackki...ck-p-1070.html

I want to try to rebuild the rack myself instead of paying ~$750 for a reman. ZF rack, or $380 for a no-name rack from rockauto.

Anyone used that kit successfully? What replacement racks is everybody using?

Next question:

There is an intermittent clacking noise coming from the area around the front of the engine. Sounds like it's either the power steering pump or the accessory drive belt tensioner. I took the belt off and the pump turns smooth; the tensioner turns ok but does make a scraping noise. The car has always made a constant loud cracking noise at startup, but it's always stopped after a second. I noticed this when I backed out of the garage to turn the car around. I still had power steering, but I'm guessing the pump is about to completely fail, unless it's something else.

I know it's impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet, but I figure the noise has to be related to the power steering.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Administrator

First up, be very careful with trying to rebuild the rack. An Audi technician once told me that after three separate failed attempts to rebuild failed racks, he just replaces them. It's apparently that much of a pain in the ***.

We've installed several racks from Advance Auto of all places, and they've all worked perfectly. Prices were in spitting distance either side of $300 based on whether it's for a 1.8T or a 2.8. They're worth looking into - four of them we've done are all working very well.

As for the noise, with the belt installed, start the engine and look at the tensioner - if it's wobbling or bouncing you'll want to replace it since the bearings are probably going. If it's smooth and solid, it's probably fine. It's very possible that it's coming from your pump, especially since you're hemmorhaging fluid - the fluid lubricates the pump and cools it in addition to assisting the steering. You may find that once the new rack is in, it quiets down.

What we did to fully purge the system on a recent one was, with the front of the car off and the belt undone, we put a 4" pad on a drill, removed the lines from the reservoir, put the pad against the pulley, and let 'er rip. Got the fluid out easily, added new fluid and repeated to flush it, then reconnected the lines and filled/burped the system. Worked great and I recommend it.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

Ok, I'll wait until I have the rack out to see if I should try rebuilding it or not. Chances are I'll end up getting one from Advanced Auto.

The tensioner felt solid, no wobble. I'll put the belt back on and look at it closer tomorrow, but besides the slight scraping feel of it it felt fine. Hopefully that's the noise I'm hearing, and not the pump.

When purging the way you're suggesting with the drill the rack should be installed and the fluid will be pumped out the return line for the reservoir, right? Should I do this before installing a new rack to make sure any crap or wrong fluid is flushed out? I've already put a liter of new stuff through the leak but I guess a proper flush would be a good thing.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Hopefully you're right about it being the tensioner - they're way easier and cheaper to replace than the pump. And yes, when I did the purge I had the rack installed. You'll probably want to do it once the new rack is in - the one we did most recently was filled with generic fluid to preserve the seals but that had to be evacuated and refilled with the right stuff.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

The tensioner seems solid to me, no wobble. Like I said the car has always made a loud noise at startup, only recently has the noise continued after startup in a click - - clack sort of way. It may not even be coming from the same thing.

I guess we'll see when I get the rack replaced.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Hey Devil,

Advanceauto.com only lists this rack for my car (99.0 A4 Quattro).

Fenco Rack and Pinion RP2308

It's only $113 without the core charge. Is this the same one you used?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Administrator

It's a LOT cheaper but it sure looks like it. A note - they all came filled with red PS fluid to preserve the internals. Drain and blow it out before filling your system with the proper Audi fluid. That stuff might be OK for the rack (not sure) but it definitely is not for the pump. Not sure if you saw it but I made a DIY for the rack swap and put it in the DIY forum here on AF. it should help.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Well, with the core charge it came to 290. It's the only one they had for my car, so it should be good enough. Price was right, anyway.

Thanks for mentioning your write-up. I don't know why but I didn't even think to check the DIY pages here. I found a write-up at audidiy.com and was running with that + the Haynes manual.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

So, after much BS it turns out Advance couldn't get the rack from Fenco and the only other one they could get was 500$+. Ughhhh....

I'm reaching out to see if I can get one direct from fenco, because that's still the best deal I've seen, but I doubt that'll go anywhere.

Any other good sources for a steering rack? RockAuto has some with prices I could live with but I want to make sure I'm not getting a junk part.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

I got a rebuilt unit from A4 SERIES - RACK DOCTOR - Quality Rack and Pinion Remanufacturing for $135 after you send them your old rack. Seems OK so far

Quick Reply: Power steering problems