B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

POWER STEERING RACK PROBLEMS!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default POWER STEERING RACK PROBLEMS!!

Hey guys,
Having some power steering rack problems with my 99 A4 Quattro Tip w/ 94k on it. Have the famous groaning noise followed by some horrible squeaks and rattles when braking is applied followedby steering movement. If I am at a stop with the brakes applied and turn my steering wheel back and fourth I can hear something loose,rattling in response tothe movement right behind my dashboard on the passenger side.It ONLY occurs when the temp is warm outor after a long road trip. I made a huge mistake of adding a little regular fluid not knowing the specific brand to add when I first got the car. Also when it is very cold out the pump or rack will whine until it warms up. Do you think this is a failing rack, p/s pumpor a fluid problem. I do plan on flushing out the old with the proper new fluid to see if this helps.Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: POWER STEERING RACK PROBLEMS!!

Bumped for desperity...onepointbee..auditech..help anyone??

Old 04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
6th Gear

I'm not sure but are you leaking any fluid or is it just making noises? If your leaking fluid I'd check the rack, if you aren't then it might be the pump, I'm not sure how much of the non mineral fluid oyu put in but I'm pretty sure enough of it can totally wreck our systems.

this sounds like it might end up being an expensive problem if you gotta replace anything

Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM

probably a leak in the system and common on older cars because they are not self bleeding, jack the front wheels of the ground and fill the system and rotating the steering from left to right a couple of time to get the air out ( do not crank the engine )

Old 04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, I will be trying this as soon as I get home. The thing is I am not leaking any fluid as my level has been consistently accurate everytime I check it. My hoses are a little wet but there is no visible leak as my level always seems to be fine. I only added a small amount of the non-mineral based fluid when I did add some a while ago. No noises are presentwhen it's cold out only when the tempertaure is warmer (recently) does it start to act up. All the noises are coming directly behind my dash on the passenger side especially when I turn my wheel back in fourth at a standstill. It almost sounds as though the rack is loose; is there any access to this thing what so ever? The rackand pinion should not be failing at 94k regardlessof what make and model car you drive. I had to replace one in my 92 Cavalierat 145k considering GM manufacturing. Love my Audi butits not returning anyin my favor....I am really dissapointed in this car at 94k, not in any means to the refinement and quality of the car but mechnically it's a nightmare. I had to replace the following componentsso far:turbo (bad wastegate valve), MAF, wheel bearings, tranny & enginemounts,water pump, tensioner, brake caliber (seized), brake light switches, multiple ATF changes, not to mention my torque converter ison its way out followedby my tranny which isprobably next due to the clutch packs wearing out and now a possible rack replacement. Give me any reason to keep this car....[:@]lol. Sorry just had to vent. Luckily I was able to do all of this maintenance myself or I would have beenreally introuble. Only owned the car for two years now...CAB509 and techbod thanks for the assistance, I read your prior inputs from formerrelated posts.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Update! Went home tonight after work and flushed out my old fluid with some new Pentosin 11s. Followed the procedure from what you all said and I think IMAY have my problem solved for now. After jacking up the front leaving the wheels exposed I disconnected the lower PS line (at the cooling loop) and drained all the fluid out; it was all black and dirty. While keeping the line disconnected I then started moving the wheels back in fourth which pretty much blew out the remaining fluid from the rack and pump. I reconnected the line and poured in the new clean fluid. While keeping the reservoir cap off I again cranked the wheels side to side until all the air bubbles pushed out and the new fluid circulated through; it took a little more fluid after doing this process. Topped off the fluid to the correct level and capped her. When I test drove itI right away noticed that I did not hearor feel any abnormal rack noises. Althoughthe temp cooled off outside significantly I could not getthe typicalgroaning and creeking noises I was experiencing before even by racking the steering wheel with the brakes applied at a complete stop; nothing. So hopefully (fingers crossed) I might haveescaped a near tragedy by savingthe rack from further damage. Tomorrow is the real test though as I will be traveling my normal commuteto school after work; about a120 mile round trip which have usually resulted in the initial problems.I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! Thanksagain guys, I'll keep ya updated.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

Just when you feel good thinking you have solved a major problem, NOT! The infamous creaking has returned with this warmer weather. Fluidlevel is the same from when I changed it two weeks ago with no leaks. Looks like I better start saving for a new rack and task the job myself. I still cannot believe this thing would fail on an Audi @ only 94k mi., freaking unbelievable the time and money I keep spending on this damn thing....[:@]

Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 PM
6th Gear

that does sound bad, mine is also going bad and about to be replaced but I have 100K on your car

Old 04-16-2008, 02:44 PM
5th Gear

try some of the good ol' lucas. i was having a tiny groan when pulling out of my garage in the mornings but it has gone away after putting in some lucas. i think your problem is deeper but it wouldn't hurt to try it lol. i hope it's not your rack because that ****** is very costly. get one from a salvage yard if you have to replace it

Old 04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
6th Gear

if oyu gotta replace it look here

http://www.carsteering.com/ they have pretty decent prices on them

Quick Reply: POWER STEERING RACK PROBLEMS!!