B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Problems after problems

Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Problems after problems

Hey there i just switched from A Chevy to audi a4 2.8Q Awd have no clue what im working with lol got some advice but still not sure

Hair Pullers !!!!

Ive had the car for 4 - 5 days now

Guys my speedometer drops below 0 and struggles to go up was driving at least 100KM/H showing 80

all other gauges seems to be working

Next.....

When Driving slow when i go over small bumps etc i hear a a grinding noise near the back of the car driverside. (not sure if im describing it right)

Next......

All rear lighting works except for the brake lights in the tail lights. But THe brake like in the rear window works when you brake. I played with the bulbs and it only works when i dont put it in the right position ( line up thingys on the side push down then turn) when i dont line up and push down and hold (it will fall out if i dont hold) The brake lites work when you hit the brakes.

ALSO trying to find where the computer thing is so my friend can use a scanner usualy under the driver side but i looked everywhere and i cant find it i havent checked outside the car near the engine although i dont think i would be there.

if i get any other problems ill let you know i have had the car for a week almost when i got the car everything seemed fine. speedo wasnt acting wierd.

Plz guys this my first audi. got a good deal on it.

It came with safety and etest.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

Personally I would have checked the car out a little more before I bought it. Sometimes a good deal isn't such a great deal in the long run (or the short run in your case). When properly maintained these cars can run forever. My guess is that the previous owner abused it in some way. Considering that you're coming from a Chevy, I'm surprised that you're complaining about the Audi (when it comes to American cars, it's Ford all the way for me).

Old 06-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by carlosmedeiros98
Hey there i just switched from A Chevy to audi a4 2.8Q Awd have no clue what im working with lol got some advice but still not sure

Hair Pullers !!!!

Ive had the car for 4 - 5 days now

Guys my speedometer drops below 0 and struggles to go up was driving at least 100KM/H showing 80

all other gauges seems to be working

Next.....

When Driving slow when i go over small bumps etc i hear a a grinding noise near the back of the car driverside. (not sure if im describing it right)

Next......

All rear lighting works except for the brake lights in the tail lights. But THe brake like in the rear window works when you brake. I played with the bulbs and it only works when i dont put it in the right position ( line up thingys on the side push down then turn) when i dont line up and push down and hold (it will fall out if i dont hold) The brake lites work when you hit the brakes.

ALSO trying to find where the computer thing is so my friend can use a scanner usualy under the driver side but i looked everywhere and i cant find it i havent checked outside the car near the engine although i dont think i would be there.

if i get any other problems ill let you know i have had the car for a week almost when i got the car everything seemed fine. speedo wasnt acting wierd.

Plz guys this my first audi. got a good deal on it.

It came with safety and etest.
your obd port is either under the dash or some models have them behind the center console im with the ash tray, at the floor.... it would help if you told us yr and engine though.... i am guessing a 98

as for the lights, i think you need to turn them and try inserting them once turned, what i mean is the way you have been trying to install them, turn them around to where the two nubs are on the other side and put them in that way

grinding could be a million things, my first guess is bearing

speedo, no answer

Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

K guys here is the update...

Brake light was fixed had to agjust the wiring in the harness apperently there wasnt proper contact is wat i was told.

Now For the speedo my friend has a scanner unfortunately didnt have thingy for audis but one code came on i think it was p188 he took it for a drive with the scanner thank fully everything else seems ok but the speedo is off by aproximately 15km

it was a pain to find the scanner harness thing it had fallin out of the place where it suppose to sit took me like half hour to find the screws to pull of the peice under the steering wheel. But i couldnt get it all off enuff to reach my hand and put it in right place. i only found 2 screws is there a thread on here about dash cause my friend said he can set it properly (mechanic) but i goto take the cluster out.

as for the noise coming from the back ran outa time. Its a Vvvooom hollow noise. It cant be exhaust i dont think but i havent had proper time to double check. All in all Car came with free tie rods :P found em in the wheel well maybe preivous owner or mechanic that was doin the safety got lazy. gonna get a full proper check of the car this weekend :P