B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Push clutch to start?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Push clutch to start?

So yesterday I got in the car and went to start it but a message came up saying " push clutch pedal to start" obviously I already had the clutch in so I was alittle confused. Tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. Turns out to just be the battery but even today when I replaced it , I still get the same message. After I start the car I get the "ok" but the cluth message before I start still puzzles me. Any ideas?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

I'd just hook it up to a vag and clear any possible codes.

Idk how it reads when the clutch is pusghed in, I'd assume a sensor of some sort, wich could be the culprit, but I have NO idea.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

Maybe the master cylinder is starting to wear out, so its not fully engaging the starter?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Slut

Theres just a small switch under the clutch pedal that gets engaged when you step on the clutch and allows the ignition to kick on. Im not sure why you would suddenly be getting that message tho. I'm assuming this is a facelift A4 right?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
I'm assuming this is a facelift A4 right?
I would think so, my 97 didn't need the clutch pedal pressed in to start it.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Slut

LOL really? My 99 wont start without the clutch depressed. And I said he must have a facelift, cuz I dont think the pre-facelifts have the capabilities of saying that to you lol.

And CHRIS, why did you delete your FB again? I lost my late night fap material

Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
LOL really? My 99 wont start without the clutch depressed. And I said he must have a facelift, cuz I dont think the pre-facelifts have the capabilities of saying that to you lol.

And CHRIS, why did you delete your FB again? I lost my late night fap material
rofl you weren't supposed to be able to do that? good thing i sold that car!

I know I'm sorry! Some investigation stuff goin on with work, FB will return as soon as thats over lol. You sell that Milltek cat back yet? I may have to come take it off your hands

/threadjack

Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by CCA4
I know I'm sorry! Some investigation stuff goin on with work, FB will return as soon as thats over lol. You sell that Milltek cat back yet? I may have to come take it off your hands

/threadjack
I thought you got paid to be on facebook tho? That's what it seemed like at least
Still have the Milltek, so many punkasses keep backing out last minute. Ill give it to you for a good deal.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

My '01 always said 'push clutch to start' whenever I had the car on but not running. Iirc, tips should say 'push brake to start' as well. I sawa thread on AZ where dude had a tip but got the 'push clutch to start' message, if that was the case then you'd want to be worried, but from what I've seen your car should say that before start up.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by McGovs1.8B5
My '01 always said 'push clutch to start' whenever I had the car on but not running. Iirc, tips should say 'push brake to start' as well. I sawa thread on AZ where dude had a tip but got the 'push clutch to start' message, if that was the case then you'd want to be worried, but from what I've seen your car should say that before start up.
Thats true, however, it still doesnt explain why he is just getting it now, unless he just never noticed it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Push clutch to start?