B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Radio code

Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

OK - so here's my story.

I bought a 2001 A4 1.8TQ a few months back and had to disconnect the battery for service. The radio was working, but I didn't have the code. Knowing that it would lock, I purchased another radio on ebay - the AM didn't work on the old one anyway.

Well, as expected - the radio went into safe mode and I installed the replacment. Guess what - AM still doesn't work and after some research it seems I have a bad amplifier.

I had a spare key cut at the Audi dealership and they wanted an extra 60 bucks to program the key fob. Well, I followed the instructions in the manual an did it myself. They also stated that to get the code from the old radio, they would need to hook the car up (with the old radio installed) to their computer to get the code. Labor cost - another 60 bucks!!!

I called the 800 Audi number listed above and talked to a very nice person and gave them the VIN number of the vehicle - and the number starting with "AUZ" laser etched in the right side of the radio and they called me back with the code in an hour.

So the lesson here in that they don't need the serial number of the radio, they need the laser etched "AUZ" number directly off the radio.

My guess it the VIN has nothing to do with the code, they just need it to prove ownership. The AUZ number is the important one, because who knows if that radio hadn't been replaced already.

I just want to get AM working so I can listen to some ball games that are not on FM!

Hope this helps others.

TC

Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Legal Moderator

they need your vin to look up the code since the radio was attached to your vin. obviously that will do you no good since your radio is from another car. either get vin from the car it was purchased from and give it to the dealership or explain your situation to them and they can probably look up the code from the other radio number

Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

All Audi radios are assigned the coding of the car's instrument gauge cluster, which has all the immobilizer info and VIN#. Once a valid radio code is entered - the Symphony radio "remembers/stores" it as the originating vehicle. You can even disconnect the battery, including fuses/relays and the radio's Smart Coding will know the instrument cluster, not requiring an additional code re-entry.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi a4 6 digit radio code, looking for entry instructions

I have a 98 audi a4 1.8, it has a radio cassette and 10 stack cd (Sony), the radio is an stock audi radio I think. Battery failed so put new one in. I have the radio code but need instructions on how to enter! I am in Australia. I have looked at all the sites and instructions are all for 4 digit codes and safe modes etc. all I have is a display that is asking for the 1st digit and when entered it does not go to the next one.

I hope there are instructions other than take it to the dealer who will charge $200 to enter the code.

MAL

Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Malspears
I have a 98 audi a4 1.8, it has a radio cassette and 10 stack cd (Sony), the radio is an stock audi radio I think. Battery failed so put new one in. I have the radio code but need instructions on how to enter! I am in Australia. I have looked at all the sites and instructions are all for 4 digit codes and safe modes etc. all I have is a display that is asking for the 1st digit and when entered it does not go to the next one.

I hope there are instructions other than take it to the dealer who will charge $200 to enter the code.

MAL
Malspears - here is the directions for entering the code into your Audi Concert radio:

Ti Kan: Audi Concert Radio

Old 07-12-2014, 02:06 PM
1st Gear
Default call Audi

After getting quotes for $85-120 i called audi and got it for free. Thanks!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

After getting quotes for $85-120 i called audi and got it for free. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

I get my audi radio code for free from internet!