B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Replaced Power Steering Hose, Bled Fluid and Now There's a Whine

Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 AM
Default Replaced Power Steering Hose, Bled Fluid and Now There's a Whine

I can't quite understand it. Before there was a leak in the power steering supply line, but there was no noise, except for when it would get low. I would top it off, which always did the trick and took the noise away. I did however make the mistake by filling the fluid with normal fluid from O'Reillys. This went on for several hundred, perhaps thousands of miles without any problems.

Well I finally got around to replacing the line tonight and thought it would be a good idea to replace all the fluid as well. After it was all said and done, there is a whine at full reservoir. Here are the steps I took and perhaps someone could identify what went wrong.

- Took the hose off and let the fluid drain for a while.

- Tried to pull the filter out of the reservoir to clean, only to realize it wasn't a filter, but a screen. Tried to put it back into place.

- Attached a hose to the cooler line and placed it into an empty container, plugged the supply side of the res, filled the res with 11s and with the wheels in the air I turned the steering wheel back and forth a few times. This pumped the new fluid from the res and our with the old through the hose. I repeated this a couple times and kept filling the reservoir.

- Once it was apparent that it was only clear green 11s coming out of the hose, I attached the new hose and tightened things up with really good screw clamps. Then I filled the reservoir with 11s and turned the steering wheel back and forth many many times, with the cap off. Air just continued to come up. I continued to top it off as needed.

- With the wheels still up and the cap still off, I turned on the car and when I started turning the steering wheel that screen popped up and it began to become very very frothy and bubbly. I cant figure out if that screen will stay down when the cap is on, but it could be creating the problem.

- I let the fluid settle and then did the same with the engine on, this time holding the screen down and it seemed to flow without becoming frothy. However, when I turned the steering wheel 10 times, as is recommended by some of the write-ups, it had a whine.

- Turned the engine off and turned the steering wheel back and forth and this time I did not see any air come up. Put the cap back on and lowered the car to turn the steering wheel with the tires on the ground. Still a bit of a whine, but not too too loud. Its just that it wasn't there before...

I think a couple things may have happened but I really have no idea.
1. I may have turned the engine on too quickly without properly bleeding the system and it pulled air through and damaged the pump.

2. That screen is still popping up a touch and making it slightly bubbly, which is pulling some air through and that is what is causing the noise.

3. Is it because I used the bad fluid before?

Im a bit confused.

4. I also read in some directions that it takes 10 to 12 miles of driving before all the air disappears, but Im nervous to drive the car with the wine.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me out? Any and all will be a great help. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-24-2009, 04:02 AM
5th Gear

i just replaced my rack and the whining sound disappeared in a couple of days. just try not to turn lock to lock too many times. bleeding the PS is a biznotch. give it a couple more days. if the whining dies down, you should be fine but if it's still rly loud, your pump may be the culprit

Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Also have a leaking supply hose

I have a leak in the PS supply hose. I noticed as the reservoir fluid level would drop and the tiny puddle on the driveway.

Dealer sez $260 for a new hose. Did you pay this? I'm thinking of getting the hose just repaired at a hose shop for that price. Or maybe some Gorilla tape...

Also, was the hose replacement an easy enough job? One hose right? Unscrew, get new hose, rescrew new hose, bleed system? I know your issues related to the bleeding and wrong fluid, but just curious.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:16 AM

I also have leaking in my power steering hose. Never thought off just replacing the hose though. I was thinking about replacing the metal lines and hose together but the part is still expensive. Maybe I should give this a shot....what kind of hose did you use? (inner diameter?) Thanks!

Last edited by mikeross; 08-17-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Replacement high pressure hose

Well good news and bad. I replaced the entire high pressure hose assuming the part had failed at the metalic ends where the in and outlets meet the rubber hose line. However, this was installed.... it want to say six months ago. Purchased the hose for around $100-120 shipped from major auto supplier online somewhere. So good news is, the part is replacable, and an easy fix. It's a real tough job to get that upper bolt on and off. Get a ratching open end wrench to do the job. This part took me forever.

Bad news, it's leaking again. When I get around to looking a the problem next week I'll repost. The fix worked fine for six months, but now I've got a steady, slow, power steering leak again and a whiny pump if I don't keep it topped off.

Saga, did you ever solve your issue of the whine? Replace the pump?

Last edited by Nowyousee4; 08-14-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:20 PM
1st Gear
Default which hose?

What hose was it that you replaced? I need to replace one of the hose's not sure which the technician report says "power steering hose appear to be leaking where they meet the metal lines for the cooler."