B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Resonator delete mod help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Resonator delete mod help

I'm looking for doing this mod me self but am look for instructions if anyone can help that would be very helpful thanks

Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

Cut off at both ends, weld pipe where the resonator use to be. If you took it to a muffler shop they should be able to do it for like 50$, which is not bad for what you gain!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

Yes I understand that but where is the resonator located I have a audi a4 quttro with cold air intake mod I'm just lost on where it is located because no one has an example that I can find

Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 AM

It's under the car. It's the odd lookin bit that's not the muffler.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Wtftylor
I'm looking for doing this mod me self but am look for instructions if anyone can help that would be very helpful thanks
i just had it done to my car if you want to see a picture i can take one i have a 97 a4 quattro 1.8 and my dad has the same thing done to his on a 01 a4 1.8t so yea if you want to see a pic so you can get the idea let me know.

the resonator is this big heavy pillow looking thing at the end of the car right before the muffler. The guys are right $50 and get it removed and a pipe welded on its quick and legit dont use brackets ! welded only.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:10 AM
1st Gear

Can anyone who has done this comment on the difference in power and sound? What I'm looking for is a percentage increase for both. How much louder is the exhaust and does the tone change when you remove the resonator?

Doug

Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
Can anyone who has done this comment on the difference in power and sound? What I'm looking for is a percentage increase for both. How much louder is the exhaust and does the tone change when you remove the resonator?

Doug
to answer your question i well say the following:

my dad has resonator delete and has an after market muffler twin tip, the sound louder than factory yes but louder like stupid loud not at all.

now in my car i had resonator deleted only but still have the stock muffler (not for long) the sound is basically the same thing as having it no difference maybe at really high rpms you might hear it just a little louder but still no change.

for power no change my friend same thing same pull same for all because that CAT up front still does all the restrictions you are better off getting a test pipe and seen some results in power but not with this done. in my opinion the only real gain is weight you take off dead weight off the back not much but is something and maybe an i mean maybe u gain 1hp and 2lb of torque at high high rpms and again MAYBE idk i never tested before.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

I'd love to see pictures thanks

Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Wtftylor
I'd love to see pictures thanks
ok well am going today heading out there to work on my car as i speak so ill take some and post them when am home.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks

Quick Reply: Resonator delete mod help