B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

RPM needle jumps and engine subtly vibrates while idle and while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear
Question RPM needle jumps and engine subtly vibrates while idle and while driving

I Have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T AWM I got the Transmission control module replaced about 3 days ago as it died on me,the new used TCM works great.

I was getting off work at 8:00 am in the morning,i turned on the engine and let it idle like i always do,for 2 minutes or so,until the rps goes below the 1000 rpm mark,its above the 1000 rpm mark,when i first start the car,then after 2 or so minutes it comes down below that mark.

This time however,i noticed the needle jumping up for seconds at a time,as the needle jumps,the engine shakes very slightly,no check engine light comes on though. While driving,it does it too,it is Noticeable at times,but very noticible when i come to a stop light,then i can see the needle jumping and feel the vibration from the engine shaking for a split second.

It's not a violent shake,just very subtle but again,it is Noticeable.
See youtube video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx4CrtAsieo

Attached Thumbnails RPM needle jumps and engine subtly vibrates while idle and while driving-p5293467.jpg  

Last edited by morpheous; 06-19-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear

I have a similar thing, the revs fall when I put the clutch in preparing for a stop. They only dip abnormally low while rolling with the clutch in or in neutral. It seems like its going to die, and then it catches. When it does catch, it jumps above 1000 rpm. This happens usually once but sometimes twice each instance.

Sorry, not sure what causes this. Just commiserating.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear

I have a Automatic,though. so i dunno if ours work the same.

It's not doing it a lot today,when i drove her around,i can still feel a slight vibration,at the same time,the needle jumps down but its not throwing a check engine light. a mechanic i know,asked me,when was the last time i had a Tune up,told him the only thing i had done to the car was an oil change,last month.

I think i need to check the spark plugs,air filter,air cabin filter,throttle body. anyone have any other suggested of what i should check and or do,far as a tune up?

Attached Thumbnails RPM needle jumps and engine subtly vibrates while idle and while driving-p5293466.jpg  
Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear

Spark plugs. NGK BKR6E in irridium. Make sure you gap to .032 instead of .028 if you're at stock tune.
Air filter if its not a K&N
Cabin air filter is not a huge deal, its not at all related to your engine and only will affect the "cleanliness" of your vent air.
I haven't messed with my throttle body yet.
You could also do a seafoam treatment. Its in a can available at your local Napa or whatever. Maybe ask your mechanic if he recommends it, but I do. Google it for procedures.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear

ok,i'll ask him monday about the seafoam and air filter but why would i have to regap my spark plugs,if they were working fine,before? I understand if they need to be replaced but regapped?

My 2001 Audi A4 1.8T is all stock,far as i know,bought it from a dealer as is,not a Audi dealer btw.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:05 AM
Actual WIZARD

Mine dies the same, and we have the exact same car, so I think its related to the AC compressor. Mine does it every now and then, but only when I have the Climate control on...

Old 06-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Actual WIZARD

It always could be the MAF failing too... BTW, I envy your working center lcd cluster

Old 06-20-2010, 08:14 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Keegan0103
It always could be the MAF failing too... BTW, I envy your working center lcd cluster
I had no idea that a working center cluster on our B5's was such a big deal,until i joined Audi forums

How does one check to see if i have a failing mass air flow? is it a hose?

Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Actual WIZARD

Unplug your maf, and drive around. The car will run on default fuel tables, and the CEL will go away after you reconnect it and drive around for a bit. I can post a picture if you need any help

Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear

I don't have a check engine light,its never thrown one for this issue,thats why i am confused as to what it could be. here is another video i took,this time,the needle jumps down and the engine shakes/vibrates,sometimes more violently than other times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BXTjmCD-Yo

Quick Reply: RPM needle jumps and engine subtly vibrates while idle and while driving