B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Should I change my Automatic Transmission FLuid?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
1st Gear
Red face Should I change my Automatic Transmission FLuid?

I have a 1998 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro. I do all the work on my other cars from a trans swap to body work but don't know much about Audis. I am pretty sure I have read every thread on these forums about changing the transmission fluid in an automatic tiptronic. My issue is that many of these posts talk about doing it at 60-70k and if it goes longer than that, then just leave it alone. I already bought a Blau Parts Transmission change kit but I don't have a vag-com and I would love to actually do the atf change but if I am only going to make it worse then I'll just leave it alone.

Well I just bought my car and I am pretty sure the previous owners (5 of them) didn't beat up the car much. But now I have the car and the mileage is at 140k.

The gears shift VERY smoothly in normal acceleration...very smoothly. It gets wierd when I am driving in a higher gear like 3rd or 4th and then I come up to a bend in the road or an incline and have to slow down before it. The gears drop down to probably 1st like normal and as soon as I get around the turn I hit the gas a little, this is what I am not sure about--> the shift as I hit the gas again is not nearly as smooth as it normally is. It is not necessarily very rough but compared to the normal shifting of the car (which I would consider to be almost unnoticed), I would say it is rough. I think a jolt is too strong a word but it is certainly similar when compared to its normal smooth shifting. It is almost like it was not fully engaged in a gear when I hit the gas again and last minute it just chooses one abruptly.

Should I consider doing a transmission fluid change with such high mileage even though I am pretty confident it has never been done before? Is this shifting normal and I just think something is wrong because I am a new owner. Mind you this feeling is similar to a standard shift in like an old blazer or something.
Any input would help and I am a new Audi owner so rambling helps too as long as its Audi related. I will read everything haha

Last edited by mmdambro; 12-07-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Search this Thread