B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

side marker help

Old 05-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Default side marker help

hey there, brand spankin' new member here with a request for help, what's new?

and, this may be one of those things that gets swept aside after i say this but, i actually don't own an A4 but i need some help/info from you guys that do have one. here is the request...

i've got a project i'm attempting that i bought a set of the side markers for the front fenders of an A4, and i'm looking for pictures or if anyone wants to be nice and give me some measurements, i need to know the size and shape of the hole that the marker fits into.

i'm sure i could figure it out with some trial and error, but if anyone on here wants to do their good samaritan deed for the year and either snap some pics of the fender hole or even be nice enough to take some measurements that would be super cool and save me some time and ensure that i'm doing this right.

i would really appreciate it, thanks in advance for any help

Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Default RE: side marker help

Haha, I don't know what car are you putting them on?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

Do you know what year they are from? Up to 99.0 is a square shape and 99.5 and above has rectangular ones.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:51 PM

well, you guys are probably going to laugh, i was originally going to keep it as vague as possible since the forums i frequent get pretty snippy when people post about other manufacturers vehicles. but, since you asked, i'll throw myself on the mercy of the forum.

i've got a '98 Toyota 4runner and i'm doing a sequential turn signal project on the front end and nixing the bumper signals so i can fab something up for some fog lights to go in there. there it is, i've come clean, anyone still want to help me out? would it help to say that i haven't always had a Yota? actually, i had an '84 VW GTI, so i have some German blood in me

and, i was looking through the show off thread, slick rides you guys! the markers i'm using are the square-ish ones from '96-'99 (i think), not the longer oval-ish ones. like THESE

and, just for a shameless plug of my own vehicle, if you're interested, here is my baby:

Name:  4runner_02.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  90.7 KB

Old 05-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Administrator

I went and dug up my OEM amber corner light out of a box of original parts that I've kept as I've replaced them, and according to my tape measure, the shaft on the back of the sidemarker that goes into the fender and locks the lens into place, is exactly 1/2" diameter. I hope that helps you

Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 PM

thanks for checking that for me Jeremy. i do have a set of the smoked markers already, what i'm really after is the shape of the hole that they fit in. i've looked at replacement fenders on ebay but they don't show any good close ups of the shape of the hole on them. it does look like it's pretty much a smaller square than the marker and i can see that from the back of the actual marker, but the snap part looks like it comes out a little more from the square for the marker to sit inside, and there may be a little ridge on the opposite side of the snap part. i don't know. this will probably just be a trial and error thing; i've got some sheet metal that i can practice on to get it right before i start cutting into real body panels.

if anyone has a wrecked A4 or parts vehicle with a mangled fender that they wouldn't mind lopping off the maker section for me, i'll pay for it

thanks again for the help, i appreciate the info!

patrick

Old 05-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Give me a little bit, and I'll take one of mine off for you, and take a few pics of it as well as measurements. Company's here right now, getting ready for dinner, but give me a couple hours and I'll post up pics and measurements.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 PM

Jeremy - you are awesome! no hurry at all on this. it's an ongoing project for me and i'm not in a super big hurry right now. i actually just ran out of cutting discs for the Dremel and i won't get some until tomorrow night. no hurry at all. and i REALLY appreciate you doing this for me, especially since i'm not an audi owner and i have nothing to contribute to this forum, other than pics of my 4runner

have a good night and thanks a million times!