B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Slack in steering, help me with eliminating my possibilities!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:18 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Slack in steering, help me with eliminating my possibilities!

Hey guys,

So, I'm having problems with the steering, but I just don't know what it is..

Symptoms:
When I'm driving, it's easier to turn to the right than to the left
When in a sloped right corner it will very easily turn the wheel by itself and head for the ditch if I don't actually hold on to the wheel (noticing it in the same turn every day while driving to work in heavy traffic)
When the car is straightening up from a corner, if I just let go of the steering wheel it will always correct itself up to a certain point, but the last inches I have to straighten up myself
Steering is light, and it feels like it slacks a bit, i have to do a lot of correcting, it's hard doing for example a slight right bend downhill, i don't feel like i'm 'drawing a line' while driving it anymore, it's quite uncomfortable...
When driving on a flat, the car will go straight forward

Possible solutions:
Slack in the control arms? I don't think so, but I don't know.. those are the common things to break, right?
There's a damper inside the servo system, isn't it? If that was to break, wouldn't that result in more or less the problem I have now? I have no experience with fixing servos in any way..
The servo itself seems to be working fine, there's no problem with it having a dip in performance or acting unusual in any way..

Hope you guys can give me some input, thanks!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 AM
3rd Gear

try a fresh alignment

Old 11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, get an alignment from a good shop and they'll be able to tell you if you have worn parts in need of replacing. Some shops will even give you a free alignment if you come back having fixed the car within a certain amount of time.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

i get it from the dealer cause there the only ones who have the laser set up and i asked my dealer to check up on whats wrong with my car and they did it for free

Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 AM
1st Gear

Well, over here an alignment actually costs alot of money. It would equal about 250$ I think. It's crazy. I'd rather do it myself, and I have all the parts i need for a complete control arm swap. But if it is the servo damper rod that is the culprit, it would be a bad move to swap it after the control arms, since they need to be loosned up.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
5th Gear

jack up the front end and see if you have play in the wheel. if so you can usually see which bushing is bad. you most likely have bad alignment and/or bad tie rods and upper A arms. i had basically the same problem but i think mine was much worse because if i went over a bump, i would have to instantly correct or my car would shoot left or right. if the road banks, your wheels will follow the bank, that's normal.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 AM
1st Gear

Oh, I have the same problem as you with bumps and the car shooting to the side.
I'll jack it up in the weekend, but winter has come, and it just plain sucks working with the car now.. grr.
What's happening with the bushings when they're bad, is the rubber physically ripped, does the rubber go all soft, or what.
My upper arms were swapped last christmas I think.. but for the rest of the car it's unknown. Will try and report back later, cheers.