B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Slew of Issuses with my 99 2.8L 30V A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Slew of Issuses with my 99 2.8L 30V A4 Quattro

Hey everybody I'm new to the forum but I am about to be extremely active on here. I just found the A4 i've been looking for and am about to start a large build out.

That being said, right off the bat I've had a a string of bad luck with this car. (It does have 190k on the odom)

I bought this 99 2.8L 30v A4 a few months ago and have slowly been finding and fixing standard wear and tear issues before i start the build up. I am planning on thowing a Pes G2 supercharger on when i can.

OK the issues at hand.

1. I just changed the oil pan last night and found a small piece of what i'm guessing is carbon fiber in the pan. What could that be? Part of gear? Timing belt assembly? Photo below and the piece is roughly about the size of a dime.

2. Is 190k miles on this thing to much to even think about supercharging it?

3. Last owner took the stock intake off and replaced it with some POS cheep air ram intake and one of the wiring plugs is stripped off of the harness.

4. Wheel speed censor on right front is cut in half? haha. (how hard is that to replace)

5. All the control arms/ball joints are loose and moving. Upper and lowers on both right and left front. Who/where has the best aftermarket replacement kits on these?

I know thats kinda a lot for a first thread but I'm new to AUDI and I want to go at fixing and building this car the best way I can! INFORMED! HAHA

Thank you all in advance for helping me sort through this project!! Much respect!

Attached Thumbnails Slew of Issuses with my 99 2.8L 30V A4 Quattro-img_20160925_082418622.jpg   Slew of Issuses with my 99 2.8L 30V A4 Quattro-img_20160925_082429080.jpg  

Last edited by Nate Cruise; 09-25-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:03 AM
1st Gear

Looks like a chunk of a cam tensioner.

Front wheel speed sensor, is the part sticking into the hub cut in half, or just some wiring to it. wiring is easy, just splice it back together, the actual sensor is a bit tougher, because they like to seize into the hole in the hub and break apart when you try to pull them out. If you can get it out, its just a plug and play replacement, slip the new one into the hub, and connect the wiring up to the connector on the harness. Have to get the old one out first though and sometimes that is a real pain.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mark C
Looks like a chunk of a cam tensioner.

Front wheel speed sensor, is the part sticking into the hub cut in half, or just some wiring to it. wiring is easy, just splice it back together, the actual sensor is a bit tougher, because they like to seize into the hole in the hub and break apart when you try to pull them out. If you can get it out, its just a plug and play replacement, slip the new one into the hub, and connect the wiring up to the connector on the harness. Have to get the old one out first though and sometimes that is a real pain.

Hey thanks for the response. Chunk of the cam tensioner eh? how big of a deal is that gonna be down the line now that a chunk of it is missing? I can only imagine that's not gonna be a good thing. Since it came from inside the engine.

Thanks Mark!

Last edited by Nate Cruise; 09-26-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

Depends on how much more of the tensioner is sitting somewhere else in the engine, might be just a little piece broken off, might be a bigger piece somewhere else. The tensioner/variable valve timing unit sits right in the front of each cam cover, in the picture below and you can see the dark orange colored slides that the chains ride over. There's one on the top that you can see and a mirror image on the bottom side of the tensioner. That's probably where that piece came from. If it is, the whole VVT tensioner has to come out. Not hard to get at, but can be fun to replace and if you screw up the cam timing then you run the risk of valves hitting the piston and getting bent.

They do sell just the slides but you still need to get the chain off the tensioner to get at them. Slides get darker with age, and you can sort of see where the chain has carved some wear lines on the chunk you have.

Last edited by Mark C; 09-26-2016 at 01:24 PM.