B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

speedometer and odometer not working please help.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM
1st Gear
Default speedometer and odometer not working please help.....

replaced my vss still not working and now i am gonna trace the wires to the e.c.m. I will keep everyone posted if anyone else has some suggestions please provide them. my car is a 1996 audi a4 quattro v6 manual tranny i am a first time owner.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

Got the same problem on a 96 A4 auto. I had a JS recall on the ignition that was never taken care of. I got it swapped out but it didn't fix the problem. Does your ever work. Mine will once in a while. Seems to work more now that it's getting colder. No one on this site has had any valuable input or any for that matter. I'm new to Audi as well and love the car. Let me know what you find out. My next step is checking the grounds.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy

I have the same problem, here's what I have so far:

1. Like you my speedo works more frequently when its cold out.
2. Wenever it does not work, the tach does not either
3. when ignition is turned off,speedo does not go to zero after pulsating

What I have found out is whenever ignition is turned on the tach waits for a signal from the speedo that it is at zero. If the speedo is not at zero the tach will not recieve the signal hence no tach at startup.

I too have not been able to find anything here on this. I have found valuable info on the VW forums however.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

Well, not to be rude but, my speedo always gos to, or is at zero, when the tach and speedo don't work. I will say that my tach doesn't always go back to zero. I wonder if its a connection issue in the back of the cluster? I'll check it out and post. Also it could be that the ignition connection are dirty, although I doubt that but will check and update. Thanks for responding.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

I eliminated the ignition as it was just replaced by the dealer (there was a recall).

I've been thinking about sending the cluster for repair to one of these places I found on the forum. I may just replace the car although I just rolled over 200K and she is driving strong!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

Anybody have any updates on this issue? I've had the same problem since I bought the car 2 years ago. Ignored it til now but am now commuting to work and want it working as best as possible.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
2nd Gear

could be a bad cluster, the motors for the needles can just be shot.
The senders from the engien and tranny can be shot also. Try the cluster repair and if not then id trace the speedo sender and the tach sender down and replace them. It sounds liek a cluster problem but when you send the cluister out for reapir i believe they just fix the pixel problems? i dont exactly know since i havent done it.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 AM
1st Gear
Default tach and speedo

I Finally got it fixed. Called auto salvage yards till I found a cluster and replaced it. All works well. not bad for $50. Now I just need to find an a/c control unit for dash. Led's keep flickering and occasionally will not let the a/c work.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

I think i have the same issue as you. My speedo needle just flickers at the zero mark while my rpm gauge just sits at zero. All other gauges work, coolant, volts, ect. Now the speedo needle will continue to flicker when I turn the car off for about 30 secs. Im wondering if its my vss, cluster, or a dead battery

Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by garruk
I Finally got it fixed. Called auto salvage yards till I found a cluster and replaced it. All works well. not bad for $50. Now I just need to find an a/c control unit for dash. Led's keep flickering and occasionally will not let the a/c work.
This not a fix. This is a replacement. I can replace but will not. My current cluster is at 206k and rising. I need to see how far up this car goes without falling apart. Fortunately the odometer still works.

I have an A/C control unit with a nice bright display. Could not use on my 96. Found out that the only ones that will activate the A/C on the 96 has numbers on the back ending in 043H. The one i've got ends in 043 B or D. Check what yours ends in and let me know.

Quick Reply: speedometer and odometer not working please help.....