B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

timing belt troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 PM
1st Gear
Default timing belt troubles

Hey guys,

First time poster.

I picked up an a4 2.8qm last month for a song.

It's a one owner car but, needed some maintenance. I'm now in the process of doing a full timing belt kit, cam seals, VC gaskets, New cam chain tensioners, and a few other little things.

Heres my problem...

When I went to hook up my cam lock bar (with the TB still installed), I noticed that the cam sprockets didn't quite line up properly. they did not sit perfectly in line. I had to attach the passenger cam sprocket first, then press down on the lock bar to "hook it up" to the driver side cam sprocket. (it sat a few inches above the driver-side sprocket)

doing this also turned the crank a little (off tdc?)

Pics...

This is the cam on the driver side. perfect.

Name:  IMG_20120611_172657.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  312.3 KB

This is the exhaust cam on the passenger side. the camera angle may not show it but, it's a little off
Name:  IMG_20120611_220607.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  296.3 KB

When I turned to passenger side cam to meat up with the driver side (cam lock bar) It pulled the crank off tdc...

Name:  IMG_20120611_172712.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  363.6 KB

Did I jump a tooth? The car ran pretty darn good like this...

Since i already have the valve covers off, what on earth is the best way to make sure my timing is right?! I'm a little confused as to how the car ran so well with the timing in this "condition"

Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Administrator

With the belt still installed, index the crank at its mark. Check the other marks to see which cam is lined up. Once you know which one needs to be moved, remove the belt and SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY align the cam that's off, using the notches and arrows in the head. Then bolt the bar on and continue the job. The crank alignment is the key point to use as a reference for the cams so once it's positioned properly, you can set up the cams to match. If its still off a hair, you can adjust with the bar in place, but if it's off by less than half a tooth you don't really need to sweat it.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Okay great. I'll do that tonight. Thanks!

So is it possible that I skipped a tooth? What would cause the sprockets and crank not to line up?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Administrator

It could be slight belt stretch that caused it. Long as you align everything with the new belt, you're golden.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 AM
1st Gear

sweet. I've got my two exhaust cams lined up perfectly (via cam keyway/arrow) with the crank.

for whatever reason, lining up the cams by installing the cam lock bar actually throws timing off slightly. Not sure why. Regardless, I'll trust the keyways/arrows on the cam bearing caps before i trust the cam lock bar.

I cranked the motor over by hand and all is well. timing is perfect on every rotation.

I also finished installing all my cam seals, head plugs, and the driver side VC & VC gasket. Now I'm just waiting for my CCT shoes for the passenger side head and everything will be ready to throw back together.