B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

"Tire Chatter" on Quattro in tight turns?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 AM
1st Gear
Default "Tire Chatter" on Quattro in tight turns?

Sorry for all the posts, New to this car and learning alot just reading all the posts. Its already helped me fix/review a number of things....

96 audi a4 quattro automatic. during a tight turn getting a bit of rough ride/tire chatter when turning. Is this a common thing with associated with Quattro's OR is this cuz Ive read ALOT about making sure on the quattros you match your tires correctly as its all wheel drive. Looking at the tires I notice the PO has a 40 series tires on the front and 45 series on the back!!

Im wondering if thats not the cause of the slight "tire Chatter" / Roughness in tight corners?? I mean you have 4 power wheels and rear slightly bigger than the front.........

Thanks!!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:16 AM
3rd Gear

I've never heard of tire "chatter" due to Quattro. Fist order of business, however, is to mount 4 matching tires and do an alignment. Then try and diagnose the issue if it's still there.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Got it...thats what I was thinking and hoping. Thats in the plans......Thanks...didnt think it was something quattro's just "did" as Ive not heard it around here. Thanks.

I will do that and advise.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:48 PM
4th Gear

My '96 A6 does this too, as does many peeps. Its almost like 'posi chatter' in the older cars. I''ve heard changing the 'lifetime' fluid in the front diff helps... since its not really lifetime, just synthetic GL-5 and it does go bad after 60k mile or so.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

The tires have to be balanced correctly. You have rear wheels pushing you through the turn as well, which does put an additional load on the front suspension. Bad CV joins also can cause this.