B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Transmission issues - Newbie with a question.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

maybe find a junkyard and ask to borrow one? i've done that kinda **** before.. the parts for these cars just sit around collecting dust anyways lol

Old 03-27-2012, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Good Idea

Thats a good idea. We have a really good salvage yard here in Austin...AustinVeeDub... They specialize in VW/Audi/BMW.

The other thing I should probably do so I dont act like a complete Noob and just throw parts at this ****** till I miraculously get lucky, is do what you recommended and check the damn trans fluid and top off. I was thinking that it seems the car is shifting into what it is supposed to be in, but that when I take off in say "D" when its time to shift into 2nd, it does not have the pressure to do it. You also said that Reverse takes more pressure, so perhaps Im just low on fluid.

Ill need to search again for a DIY on checking trans fluid. Why didnt Audi just seal the trans tube like on my Mercedes ML320? It was also "lifetime" trans fluid, but they still had the dipstick tube, it was just sealed with a tab so they could tell if you messed with it.

Last edited by TexasLexus71; 03-27-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM
1st Gear
Default found a TCM on ebay for 25 duckettes!

Does anyone know if what the difference between the last letter in the part number of the TCM? My TCM is 8DO 927 156 BM, the TCM on ebay for 25 dollars is 8DO 927 156 BN.

For 25 dollars, Im willing to gamble to see if it might fix my trans issue.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Update:

Ok...so I just installed the new(new to me) TCM. This TCM did not have the same "burnt plasticy" smell so I was hopeful this would solve my transmission issues.

But the car is still doing the same thing. No change in anything. I disconnected the battery in hopes that it will clear any lingering codes and will retry again in a few.

This points me back to perhaps the trans fluid level being off. My question is, if the level is so low to be causing this issue, then I probably have an issue with a seal leaking somewhere dont I? Is this common? Or do transmissions lose fluid over time? My car has 172K miles, so it is no spring chicken.

The only other things besides complete trans failure I can think of is that either the neutral safety switch I put in is the wrong one, or there is a code that my scanner cant read and therefore not erasing that is still not allowing the TCM to reset? Hoping the vag com cable I have on its way can help with this one.

Looks like I will be checking fluid level today. I wish it was not such a pain to do. I do not have four jack stands as has been suggested using in some posts to keep the car level for this process, but I figured I could jack up car, remove filler plug, and insert the filler tube, then let car back down and have someone watch while i fill till it comes out. Then, you are supposed to shift through all gears, and then refill more while it is still running...problem is, getting it capped before shutting off because fluid will settle and come out filler hole...only thing I can think of is driving it up on ramps and then crawling underneath to quickly plug filler hole....it will be challenging...or, i could just fill till it drips out and hopefully have enough in it then to shift through all gears and reverse, then drive it and get it done by someone with a lift....

Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

I found a couple of links for changing automatic transmission fluid and filter that should help you. This setup with the fill plug on the bottom is what mine looked like. Just in case, here is another fill plug setup. When I was having transmission problems, fluid didn't end up being my issue but I checked it just in case and found it was a little low and I didn't see anywhere it would have been leaking from.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Checked and topped off the trans fluid

Thanks for the link. I got car as close to level as possible and was able to add about a quart and a half before it spilled out(I have the plug on bottom). There was no change.

I was able to get the tiptronic working (magnet issue) and I thought I could at least drive it as a quasi manual, but, it drives fine in 1, but when I shift up, it shudders and kicks back to 1. So I have an issue with the shift from 1 to 2. I still have no reverse. I am getting no codes from vag com. I can force the car into limp home mode by disconnecting the TCM. The car will drive in 4th, but, still no R....so whatever my issue is, it is directly related to reverse...perhaps a solenoid???? I have no idea how these work, but does anyone know how to test them? Would they show up on the vag com if they were not working?

The only other thing I can think of is that my multifunction switch is the culprit. I was sent one that does not have the same part number as my old one....I was sent one with a part number of NS339, and my old part number is w0133-1598328. According to several sites, the NS339 is not compatible with my car. I purchased another multifunction switch that I was going to install tonight to see if this could be the issue. I really am not that thrilled, but the replacement is not too bad....only took me two hours the first time. I think I can do it in an hour this time.

While I have this thing jacked up, maybe I could check the solenoids? I really hate to pull the pan, unless there is a way to check the solenoids through the vag com????

Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TexasLexus71
Thanks for the link. I got car as close to level as possible and was able to add about a quart and a half before it spilled out(I have the plug on bottom). There was no change.

I was able to get the tiptronic working (magnet issue) and I thought I could at least drive it as a quasi manual, but, it drives fine in 1, but when I shift up, it shudders and kicks back to 1. So I have an issue with the shift from 1 to 2. I still have no reverse. I am getting no codes from vag com. I can force the car into limp home mode by disconnecting the TCM. The car will drive in 4th, but, still no R....so whatever my issue is, it is directly related to reverse...perhaps a solenoid???? I have no idea how these work, but does anyone know how to test them? Would they show up on the vag com if they were not working?

The only other thing I can think of is that my multifunction switch is the culprit. I was sent one that does not have the same part number as my old one....I was sent one with a part number of NS339, and my old part number is w0133-1598328. According to several sites, the NS339 is not compatible with my car. I purchased another multifunction switch that I was going to install tonight to see if this could be the issue. I really am not that thrilled, but the replacement is not too bad....only took me two hours the first time. I think I can do it in an hour this time.

While I have this thing jacked up, maybe I could check the solenoids? I really hate to pull the pan, unless there is a way to check the solenoids through the vag com????
Sorry to say but i'd stop throwing parts at it and let it go...your transmission has a mechanical issue,there are no other suspects. No reverse and not switching into gears and kicking back down to 1st is a tell tale sign,that your problem,isn't a electronic issue but a mechanical,failure.

I mean you replaced the TCM,multifunction switch and still no change,cut your losses and start saving your money for for a used transmission or another B5.

Take it from someone,who has had to replace his tranny.

Last edited by morpheous; 04-12-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

There is a way to test/see what solenoids are doing in vagcom but I can't remember how to do it.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Solenoids

I have gone in to vag com and ran through the gears - and see the values of the solenoids change but have no clue what it means. I guess I will take it in to have it checked out, but from my experience, most mechanics are no better at diagnosing because they are going to say its the trans because thats the easiest and of course most profitable for them.

Morp - Thanks for the information - but I really havent thrown too much at this problem yet...I bought the TCM for 60 bucks, and the first switch was 100, second was only 40. I can get the 100 for first switch refunded if it is indeed the wrong switch since that one was brand new. Oh, and a couple of quarts of trans fluid. I figure I can always keep the extra TCM as a spare or sell for what I paid for it. I have already priced used transmissions, and luckily they are not too expensive, but I really think this could be a simpler issue. I am going to recheck the trans fluid level tonight and also put in the new range switch to see if there is any change.

Okay, after some more searching online, I have found that if there was a problem with the solenoids, there would probably be a code being thrown that could be picked up by the vag com.

So, that leaves 2 options before a trans swap: fluid check/fill(again), and change out the neutral switch for one with the same part number. Im going to be really pissed if it turns out the range switch they sent was the issue and I just had the wrong part.

I found a low mile tranny for 250 bucks....Im hoping i can find someone to put it in cheap too.

Last edited by TexasLexus71; 04-12-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Additional info:
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TexasLexus71
I have gone in to vag com and ran through the gears - and see the values of the solenoids change but have no clue what it means. I guess I will take it in to have it checked out, but from my experience, most mechanics are no better at diagnosing because they are going to say its the trans because thats the easiest and of course most profitable for them.

Morp - Thanks for the information - but I really havent thrown too much at this problem yet...I bought the TCM for 60 bucks, and the first switch was 100, second was only 40. I can get the 100 for first switch refunded if it is indeed the wrong switch since that one was brand new. Oh, and a couple of quarts of trans fluid. I figure I can always keep the extra TCM as a spare or sell for what I paid for it. I have already priced used transmissions, and luckily they are not too expensive, but I really think this could be a simpler issue. I am going to recheck the trans fluid level tonight and also put in the new range switch to see if there is any change.
The transmission isn't what will be expensive,its the LABOR FEES,that's whats going to cost you,if you don't do the work,yourself.

I wish it isn't the transmission but the symptoms point to that,i am just being honest with you on what it pretty much,will be the worst case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission issues - Newbie with a question.