B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Turbo making a loud whistling noise...concerned

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Turbo making a loud whistling noise...concerned

Hello

I have a 2000 audi a4 1.8t with an apr chip
i have about 103000 miles.
got a new turbo right around 1000 miles. stock k03. we were sold a new one but from what i've heard about the shop, it could be rebuilt.

my question is, how loud should the whistle be. I was told by an audi shop that i was pushing too much boost, around 20psi at the most. then again this is an audi shop that only sells mtm and has been know to be not the most honest shop.
It shoulds like a really loud highpitched whistle more so than the woosh. its like the rotor inside is rubbing against the side maybe?

Is it possible for a turbo to burn out that fast? is it normal for it to be that loud? I did the airbox mod(drilled some holes on the prefilter side, other than that everything hasn't been touched. let me know and many thanks!

Kevin

Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 AM
1st Gear

also after long drive the turbo stops working alltogether and it has become red hot before (looked at night and it was glowing red) and it will only boost 5 psi. wtf is going on and plz help, i've dumped a ton of money into this car and jsut want the damn thing to work

oh yeah apr diverter valve.

OH and it sometimes makes like a whining noise from right where my feet are. any suggestions at to what that could be?

Last edited by [KSU]KEvin; 10-08-2008 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 AM
4th Gear

thats your turbo spooling... mine spools louder now than it used to with my chip

Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear

its like the rotor inside is rubbing against the side maybe?
dont worry, if the compressor wheel hit the housing you would know it. it would make a tremendous amount of noise and then your car would not work. does it sound like a high pitched dentist drill?

turbos get hot. red hot. this is why you dont floor it for 3 miles then immediately shut off the engine. that causes the oil in the lines to stop moving and get cooked.

if you are only boosting 5psi thats because your car is in limp mode, meaning something is wrong and you have a DTC. you need to get your codes read and post them here.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Site Moderator

^agree

Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM
3rd Gear

So do you not like the whistling turbo? The drilled out airbox is certainly going to make it more audible. The shop could be correct that your boosting too much though and that could be why your going into limp mode. My last car the turbo was really loud when I first installed it. Of course at the time it had no cats and for a week it didn't even have an air filter. Eventually though it just was quieter at first you could here it even under light boost. I had been told it sounded like a semi lol. Oh and that turbo only boosted 7.5psi stock lol the car was chipped and was probly supposed to hit 9 psi even but the chip was Japanese and the website for it was all Japanese too so I couldn't tell what the spec's on it were. Anyways it was loud even though I never went above 5 psi.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear

lol what a SMART idea to do to a nece GERMAN car ^^

? random jap chip? really??? tell your audi im sorry if you havent done so already

Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear

Oh and that turbo only boosted 7.5psi stock lol the car was chipped and was probly supposed to hit 9 psi even but the chip was Japanese and the website for it was all Japanese too so I couldn't tell what the spec's on it were. Anyways it was loud even though I never went above 5 psi.
im assuming your talking about a 1.8t A4 here.. but the stock boost for these cars is 8.5psi. if you dont go past 5psi that means you are in limp mode because somethings wrong with your car. you were driving around in limp mode for the entire time. you probably had one of those ebay chips thats nothing more then a diode that gets you an extra PSI, if you even get that much. by the sounds of it, it actualy took power away from your car lol. you get what you pay for. next time spend more then $40 on a chip.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

could heat put a car into limp mode? like be a factor, the only time it ever does it is when the turbo is really hot, even the the cars oil doesn't even go past half of hte temp gauge. so main point being, could heat possibly put the car into limp mode?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 PM
3rd Gear

No the last car wasn't even german... it was an RX-7 and the chip wasn't random at all but was made by RE-Amemiya and they don't do any business here as far as I know but there huge over there. Don't worry it was a real chip but nobody was able to tell me what it really did lol. I even opened the ECU up and there was a big ol chip there soldered in with there name on it. It came with the engine when I ordered it as well as a 4 puck racing clutch with the transmission and a lightweight flywheel and stupidly expensive plug wires that didnt help at all. Oh and the stock turbo is probly 33% bigger maybe more then a 1.8t's

Last edited by somebody5788; 10-08-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo making a loud whistling noise...concerned