B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

vacuum leak...how do i locate the leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:36 PM
1st Gear
Default vacuum leak...how do i locate the leak?

i'm pretty sure i have a vacuum leak- ive got low boost issues (cant give figures, i dont have a boost gauge- sorry) and a code for the secondary air pump (which i think ive read somewhere that the code could pop up from a vacuum leak or something along those lines). anyways- i know i need to align my tb so i'll be picking up the vagcom cable sometime soon to do that although i dont think that will effect boost (will it?). are there any techniques that will help me find a potential leak? thanks everyone

Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Pulled this up but to be honest it worries me a little lol. Vac leaks can be a PITA most times.

A faster technique for finding intake manifold vacuum leaks is to get a bottle of propane and attach a length of rubber hose to the gas valve. Open the valve so you have a steady flow of gas. Then hold the hose near suspected leak points while the engine is idling. If there is a leak, propane will be siphoned in through the leak. The resulting "correction" in the engine's air/fuel ratio should cause a noticeable change in idle speed and/or smoothness (Note: on engines with computerized idle speed control, disconnect the idle speed control motor first).

Aerosol carburetor cleaner can also be used the same way. CAUTION: Solvent is extremely flammable, so do not smoke or use it if there are any sparks in the vicinity (arcing plug wires, for example). Spray the solvent on suspected leak points while the engine is idling. If there is a leak, the solvent will be drawn into the engine and have the same effect as the propane. The idle speed will suddenly change and smooth out.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

dosent sound too bad, but i would just have to check ALL lines, because i have no idea where a "suspected leak" may be? besides sounding dangerous this seems like a fairly simple method. scares me a bit to have an open propane line around a combustion engine though. lol any other methods?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Slut

smoke machine or pressurize and listen work the best imo